Would you YZ time?

7 replies to this topic
  • Math

Posted January 06, 2005 - 03:51 PM

Hi, I discovered the track last year. Liked it pretty much and most of my offroad riding will be on track next year. I thought about doing the YZ timing mod this winter. My question arises because I also plan on commuting to work with the bike during the week.

Should I avoid YZ timing because of that?

Thanks for your input. :cry:

• WR426madness

Posted January 06, 2005 - 04:07 PM

Do the mod dude it's the biggest performance gain you'll get for under $300. Bare in mind to get the full effect of this mod you will have to rejet and must have a good free flowing exhaust, it also helps to blend the valve seats into the bowl to help the beathing.

• Woodzi

Posted January 06, 2005 - 05:22 PM

With the stock Canadian exhaust I didn't like the loss of bottom end so I put it back to stock. Two years ago I put on a Doma pipe and re-jetted. When I tried the YZ timing after the mods I really liked it. It doesn't seem to take away anything from the bottom and adds significantly to the top.

Try it out, if you don't like it, it only takes an extra 15 minutes to switch back when you have it apart to check your valve clearances.

• Gadsen

Posted January 06, 2005 - 05:26 PM

From the sounds of what you will be doing, I'd do it. I had a YZ timed WR426, then I bought the new WR450 and really like the WR timing, but I do woods riding only. If I would of known woodsriding would be that much easier, I'd swapped the 426 back to WR timing,b ut I just sold it as it was. But thtas me and liek I said, I do woods, if your going to race, YZ it. My 426 was an animal and it really threw a huge roost! :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted January 06, 2005 - 06:26 PM

I YZ timed my 01 426 the 2nd day I had it, and have never looked back.
Even with YZ timing, my 426 is quite happy to chug around at 2500rpm.
When coupled with a YZ pipe and JD kit (or YZ needle) it pulls hard from any rpm in the lower gears, and about 3000rpm in the higher gears. You will love the midrange hit :cry:

• Math

Posted January 06, 2005 - 06:38 PM

From the sounds of what you will be doing, I'd do it. I had a YZ timed WR426, then I bought the new WR450 and really like the WR timing, but I do woods riding only. If I would of known woodsriding would be that much easier, I'd swapped the 426 back to WR timing,b ut I just sold it as it was. But thtas me and liek I said, I do woods, if your going to race, YZ it. My 426 was an animal and it really threw a huge roost! :cry:

So you prefer the WR timing to the YZ for woods riding right? But can you really say so? I mean you prefer the WR timed 450 to the YZtimed 426. Do you prefer the WR timing or the WR 450? You might just can't tell. :cry:

Anyway, I guess that if there is no obvious bug from running a YZ timed bike on the street, then I might try it. On the other hand, I'm already overwhelmed by my 426 power... specially on a track, I'm installing an FMF powercore IV which will give me even more power... I might wait for another year... still not sure.

Thanks to you all for your input. :cry:

Anyone else?

• Gadsen

Posted January 06, 2005 - 08:56 PM

So you prefer the WR timing to the YZ for woods riding right? But can you really say so? I mean you prefer the WR timed 450 to the YZtimed 426. Do you prefer the WR timing or the WR 450? You might just can't tell. :cry:

Good question. Both bikes feel the same riding, but the 426 was a little harder in tight stuff. I'd have to fan the clutch a bit. At higher speeds, the drawbacks to YZ timing is gone, advantages are present. (like the extra power) I liked the WR timing on the new 450F, it just made it easier to ride tight trails, but one could drop the gearing down a smidge with YZ timing and have both, but a little top speed loss. I'm still thinking of a YZ camshaft still. You know how it is, we all want more power, even if we dont need it. I think its just a bragging rights thing! :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 06, 2005 - 08:57 PM

I think the WR timing with good jetting is the perfect off road package. I got on the wave and tried a YZ450 exhaust cam for a month and I spent most of my time wheeling out of control in the woods. You have to be a real good rider like Simon@Vic to control the YZ cam in the woods. Of course anyone can handle the YZ cam with improper jetting. Jetting makes such a difference on this bike that most TT members dont realize it but once a year when they get lucky and jetting is perfect. For desert riding and deep sand I would go with the YZ timing. Power junkies can go straight to YZ timing and wont look back, :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.