Compatability of WR400 and WR426 lighting stators

7 replies to this topic
  • TallBoysWRF

Posted January 06, 2005 - 06:23 AM

Can you just unbolt a WR400 lighting stator and bold on one from a WR426 or 250? I am wondering how to do the upgrade from 80watts to 130 watts, but are they compatable. Is the ignition part of the same unit too? I know on my old KX you had to be careful to make sure the ignition was the same before changing stuff out, but I don't know how the WR is set up. (haven't had a reason to tear it apart... yet). :cry:

• simon@vic

Posted January 06, 2005 - 09:45 AM

Compatability of WR400 and WR426 lighting stators:

LOW :cry:

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted January 06, 2005 - 10:23 AM

Yes. I did this swap anumber of years ago when I owned a WR400. I ordered a Stator for an 01 Wr 426. The flywheel is the same. It worked great. The guy (ZEKEDAWG) that I sold the bike to is still riding it with no apparent problems.
Jim

• TallBoysWRF

Posted January 06, 2005 - 05:15 PM

LOW :cry:

How is that low? :cry: You lost me on that one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TallBoysWRF

Posted January 06, 2005 - 05:18 PM

I know where I can get the stator from a 250. Would that work? :cry:

• simon@vic

Posted January 06, 2005 - 05:25 PM

i lost my self :cry: ignore that post.

• matt_patton

Posted January 06, 2005 - 08:46 PM

I seriously doubt you want one from a 250 though. A 426, by all means. But Electrex has the procedure all spelled out. You simply float the ground on the stock alternator and treat it as the 2nd phase of the AC. Stock you only get single phase. Are you certain the 426 is in any way better in the output department? If you want more output Electrex sells a 200W unit that I believe replaces the Yam unit. Problem is it's like $500. I can't find published numbers on the 450 which might be a better choice all around but no idea if it'll bolt on.

• TallBoysWRF

Posted January 07, 2005 - 08:55 AM

I seriously doubt you want one from a 250 though. A 426, by all means. But Electrex has the procedure all spelled out. You simply float the ground on the stock alternator and treat it as the 2nd phase of the AC. Stock you only get single phase. Are you certain the 426 is in any way better in the output department? If you want more output Electrex sells a 200W unit that I believe replaces the Yam unit. Problem is it's like $500. I can't find published numbers on the 450 which might be a better choice all around but no idea if it'll bolt on.

Since there is not battery on the 400, there is no need for an alternator, so I am not sure if you are talking about the same thing as I am.

As for a 450, I am not looking for one of those, Just a 426, or an early 250.

Is the lighting coil the same on the 250's as on the 426's?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.