How to get a bike up on a stand?

22 replies to this topic
  • matt_patton

Posted January 05, 2005 - 10:46 PM

I paid probably too much for an all plastic work stand from Acerbis (MSRP $99 got it for 75) but for the life of me can't figure out how to get the bike up on the stand. It has 3 settable heights and I finally gave up and put it on the lowest but that didn't really take the weight off the wheels. I tried balancing the bike on the sidestand, shoving the stand from the side and rocking it onto the edge of the stand but that didn't work too well.

What's the trick to use a work stand? Looking on the 'net it looks like there are some made of AL that while probably a lot heavier, have a foot lever that allow one to shove the stand underneath without interferance and pump it up and thus raise the bike without any drama.

• Master Wong

Posted January 05, 2005 - 11:06 PM

Pick it up
if you cant lift it, you shouldnt ride it

• unkle_george

Posted January 06, 2005 - 12:06 AM

Use your knee to lift it up. Drive it up at and angle, front wheel where you want it, back wheel along side the stand. Stand on the left, Then put your knee into the airbox and lean it over sideways and lift up with your leg. Left hand on the bar, right in the hand hold.
I can get it up on the stack of wood I use for a stand with minimal cussing.
:cry:
- Ryan

• Hamish

Posted January 06, 2005 - 03:24 AM

just grab it by the handle and lift. If you are short you have have trouble, in which case you should just go and buy a foot operated lift stand, which will cost you less than your acerbis stand. Or if you can weld and have the time , make your own. I'm in the proces of making an alloy lift stand. It owes me $5 for the rubber mat. The rest is made from scap ally.

• ovrrdrive

Posted January 06, 2005 - 03:33 AM

Try putting your right hand on the throttle grip and sqeezing the front brake while you lift the back of the bike with your left hand and your knee. I pull it towards the front while I lift, hence the brake being needed to be pulled.

Once you get it in the air, just push it over with your knee onto the stand

I think squeezing the front brake helps a lot...

• Bamster

Posted January 06, 2005 - 06:10 AM

Walk it up to the stand a good pace,when your front wheel is just past the stand grab the front brake and make the bike do a stoppie. With your hip slide
the bike on to the stand. Voila.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 06, 2005 - 06:18 AM

Use your knee to lift it up. Drive it up at and angle, front wheel where you want it, back wheel along side the stand. Stand on the left, Then put your knee into the airbox and lean it over sideways and lift up with your leg. Left hand on the bar, right in the hand hold.
I can get it up on the stack of wood I use for a stand with minimal cussing.
:cry:
- Ryan

Yep, this is what I do........ It's all about the knee... (not the back)

:cry: :cry:

• Texas4play

Posted January 06, 2005 - 06:37 AM

Line the stand just in front of the foot pegs, so that the frame and foot pegs "L" with the bike stand. Grab the handle bar left hand, lean bike into your body grab the subframe with your right hand, lift with knee to where the bike frame gets on top of the stand, from there you can use the stand to rock your bike stable. Your foot pegs should be at the rear of stand just over the rear edge.

• lewichris

Posted January 06, 2005 - 11:37 AM

I paid probably too much for an all plastic work stand from Acerbis (MSRP $99 got it for 75) but for the life of me can't figure out how to get the bike up on the stand. It has 3 settable heights and I finally gave up and put it on the lowest but that didn't really take the weight off the wheels. I tried balancing the bike on the sidestand, shoving the stand from the side and rocking it onto the edge of the stand but that didn't work too well.

What's the trick to use a work stand? Looking on the 'net it looks like there are some made of AL that while probably a lot heavier, have a foot lever that allow one to shove the stand underneath without interferance and pump it up and thus raise the bike without any drama.

muscles, dont have any? grow up and hit the gym

• jaggley

Posted January 06, 2005 - 06:41 PM

http://img.photobuck...ey/IMG_0346.jpg

Yep, this is the best stand ever. It is made by Tusk, and was $55 from Rockymountainatvmc.com :cry: :cry: :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Roosted

Posted January 06, 2005 - 07:11 PM

This is how I do it.

I stand on the left side of the bike. Put the front wheel in front of the stand in about the same position it would be if it were on the stand. Place the stand next to the right side footpeg. Grab the handle below the seat in the right side panel. Get close to the bike and use you body, or leg as leverage to lift the bike onto the stand. It may take some practice to get it up there but you have to want to get it up there first.

• P5Pilot

Posted January 06, 2005 - 07:32 PM

Someone else said they had the best stand, and I'd have to disagree

This stand has hooks to strap your bike down when both wheels are off the ground, (and yes it's VERY possible, I had just the back wheel off to lube the chain), as well as a 'locking' device to keep the stand up.......
Got it at Checker Auto Parts...under $60.00

http://img.photobuck...ics/bikes11.jpg

• matt_patton

Posted January 06, 2005 - 08:38 PM

Since some of you have been making certain comments about my manlyness or should I say lack thereof, please consider that I'm trying to put the bike on a stand in 6 inches of snow in 25F weather at 10PM at night in 20MPH winds. OK? With a right shoulder that's missing cartilege and that I've dislocated a dozen times at least and with which I have to be VERY careful not to yank out of the socket. (it's called a Bankart Lesion)

This is my first ever dirt bike and I've ridden it exactly once. So thank you to those who've given me some good pointers. I trust I will be rather more successful going forward.

• jwriott

Posted January 06, 2005 - 08:46 PM

I'm not that big at 5'7" 165 lbs. and I did the same with that tank as well. :cry:

If I was tired, I'd go around the front of the bike, put my hand around the front rim and lift the front end off the ground and walk the bike over to the stand.

After lifting that thing on the stand for 2 years, I decided it was WAAAYYY too heavy to ride in the woods. I can lift the KTM up easily in comparison.

LewiChris, lifting the bike on a stand and riding it are 2 different things. :cry:

• breezeblocker

Posted January 06, 2005 - 10:19 PM

throw that sucker away and get a milk crate for freeee!! :cry:

• marcusmoberg

Posted January 06, 2005 - 10:51 PM

I found a 1500 LB. capacity motorcyle/atv lift on sale for $45.00! I better buy it! :cry:

• ovrrdrive

Posted January 07, 2005 - 02:03 AM

Someone else said they had the best stand, and I'd have to disagree

This stand has hooks to strap your bike down when both wheels are off the ground, (and yes it's VERY possible, I had just the back wheel off to lube the chain), as well as a 'locking' device to keep the stand up.......
Got it at Checker Auto Parts...under $60.00

http://img.photobuck...ics/bikes11.jpg

I know this is unrelated to the thread at hand, but if that is your bike in the picture I have a question...

Are those passenger pegs stock or did you add them?

They look really trick... More info?

• Gadsen

Posted January 07, 2005 - 06:38 AM

I have a right shoulder that has been giving me trouble and ran into the same deal, here is what I did. Assuming you still have your kickstand on the bike, tip the bike way over on its kickstand (to the left) and slide the stand under it, nowput your foot in place to keep the stand from sliding and with the RH handgrip, and you standing on the RH side of the bike, pull it up on the stand! Done! :cry:

• rockieman

Posted January 07, 2005 - 10:24 AM

Sell it on Ebay and buy the one Jaggley mentions above. I have one very similar and swear by it.

• bcs

Posted January 07, 2005 - 12:31 PM

Another easy way to set the bike up is
-stand to the left side of the front wheel
-turn bars to the right, against the stop
-hold clutch side grip with right hand
-grab bottom of left fork tube with left hand
-lift front wheel (keep back straight; use your legs)
Then you can manuever the bike around, and over a milk crate or stand, rolling on the back wheel. its fairly easy to balance as long as its leaning slightly to the side, keeping the bars hard against the stop. Its also easier on your back, as it permits you to crouch and lift with your legs.

Read this method in a dirt bike mag 20 years ago.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.