Clarke 4.7 gallon fuel tank question...

11 replies to this topic
  • bluerock5

Posted January 05, 2005 - 08:37 PM

I just bought a new Clarke 4.7 gallon tank and have not installed it yet. But with the petcock on one side - how does the fuel on the other side get to the fuel petcock on the otherside :cry: . Thanks

• don87xr600

Posted January 05, 2005 - 09:13 PM

easy, you lay the bike on it's left side.

• HooliKen

Posted January 05, 2005 - 09:35 PM

Or just do some nice layed out whips off your favorite triple!! :cry:

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 05, 2005 - 09:50 PM

They say slosh takes care of it, just don't run low enough to have to test it.

• grreatdog

Posted January 06, 2005 - 07:51 AM

It was a second reserve on my XT. I had to lay the bike over to get it across. Wheelies didn't work and a "whip" off a triple would have been suicide. :cry:

• Rokatt88

Posted January 06, 2005 - 11:05 AM

I just have the Gas Tank Fairies bail the gas over the hump with little buckets. You can order them from Kathy Lee Gifford's Sweat Shop website. I tried to get Bryan to sell them on the TT Shop, but he said something about ethics and labor laws or some other Bull Poop! :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Winter_Hawk

Posted January 06, 2005 - 12:50 PM

I have another question about the 4.7 tank for the XRL. :cry: My girlfriend was awesome enough to surprise me with one for Christmas :cry: I haven't installed it yet, but it seems pretty straigtforward. One question I had though is about a metal rod found inside the tank. It's a little thicker than a driy-cleaning hanger and about 12" long. It has small loops at either end. There's nothing in the instructions that indicate what it's for. :cry: I'm wondering if it has something to do with installation or a leftover from the factory? Perhaps it will help me with installing the petcock (can't imagine how though)?

Any thoughts or experiences are greatly appreciated. :cry:

Thanks,
B

• don87xr600

Posted January 06, 2005 - 01:30 PM

I don't think that's supposed to be in there.

• Dual_Dog

Posted January 06, 2005 - 03:03 PM

One question I had though is about a metal rod found inside the tank. It's a little thicker than a driy-cleaning hanger and about 12" long. It has small loops at either end. :cry: I'm wondering if it has something to do with installation or a leftover from the factory? Perhaps it will help me with installing the petcock (can't imagine how though)?

Any thoughts or experiences are greatly appreciated. :cry:

Thanks,
B

If its anything like the Clarke 4.0, it is a lower tank lobe brace that attaches on the bottom front, lobe to lobe. Look for the threaded brass inserts in the tank lobes.

On my XRL with the 4.0, I was able to use this rod to brace the tank onto the down tube to minimize the (abnormal) amount of side to side movement associated with these large aftermarket tanks. Though I know the mounting is different on the XRR's.

Just make sure the tank or the petcock won't contact the head, engine or frame by pushing on it after you've installed it. Mine did so I made a custom bracket that I clamped over the rod and then bolted it to the frame. :cry: It's bullet-proof now. :cry:

Good luck

• grreatdog

Posted January 06, 2005 - 08:24 PM

Same on my XT. There were two tapped holes under the tank, one on each side. You screw the rod into them after you install the tank. It will go under the frame. On my XT the rod just did sit on top of the cylinder head. Since plastic is softer than metal, the rod keeps those big tanks from flexing. Good tanks. There will be one on my XL as soon as my credit card recovers from Christmas and our sick collie dog.

• Winter_Hawk

Posted January 07, 2005 - 03:08 PM

Dual and grreat,

Thanks for your replies. That makes a hell of a lot of sense! :cry: I couldn't finger out what the two screws on the bottom were...but now I know! The help is much appreciated. :cry:

B

• Xr650LMartin

Posted January 07, 2005 - 06:23 PM

Wow...I just got my 4.7 gal tank in the mail...The thing is huge!!! very nice lookin!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.