yz426f top end

16 replies to this topic
  • sanpedro426

Posted January 05, 2005 - 11:25 AM

If anybody out there has done a top end on one of thease, is there anything i need to know . Do i NEED a ring compressor or is the bottom of the jug tapered. If i do need one where did you buy it? What type of cylinder is it? Are they plated , nikasil or cast iron. Do i hone to break glaze? I just want to do it right, and to be honest i dont even know if it needs it yet. I still have plenty of compression and it still runs like a reped ape . Its a 2K2 and i baght it used 13 months ago. I ride 10 hours amonth average. thanx :cry: :cry:

• yz426onNOS

Posted January 05, 2005 - 12:03 PM

I just used my hand, but a ring compresser would have helped. You can buy one at any auto store for hardly anything.

• blue426

Posted January 05, 2005 - 07:14 PM

are sure you know how to ride :cry: :cry:

• sanpedro426

Posted January 05, 2005 - 09:14 PM

WOW nice 1 JACK you finally figured this thing out. Did it take you as long to figure it out as it did to get HOME!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• blue426

Posted January 06, 2005 - 07:41 PM

no it took me about as long as it took you to pick your old "a" up off the peebles you hit :cry: :cry: :cry:

• MichiganMXer

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:08 AM

This Blue426 is just an idiot. OMG. Excuse us non-professional motorcross mechanics, unlike yourself. Top end has never been easy maintenance you @sshole, so dont be such a smart @ss. If you dont like to help out your fellow riders then beat it idiot.
MORON. By the way, learn how to speak english idiot.

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2005 - 10:33 AM

The bottom of the cylinder is chamfered, but there are no cut aways in the cylinder skirt to make it easier to compress the rings by hand. So, yes, a ring compressor will help, but when you buy one, be sure that anything that hangs off the side of it is back from the end of the band by about 1/2" so that it will still allow it to reach all the way to the bore without tilting.

The cylinder is a Nikasil plated aluminum one.

For refinishing the cylinder, use a ball type, or "bottlebrush" hone. This type will remove virtually no material from the cylinder, and if done right, the rings will seat very quickly. Use a low-speed drill for power, and stroke the hone up and down the cylinder rapidly as you spin it to impart the cross-hatch pattern that you need. If you see areas that the hone has not touched, you probably need a bore job.

After you think it's clean, take a rag with some ATF or fork oil on it and wipe down the cylinder. You'll be surprised how much metal the rag picks up. :cry:

• sanpedro426

Posted January 10, 2005 - 11:26 AM

This is all very helpfull. I purchased a WISECO piston and it came with rings. The package the rings came in state DO NOT USE IN CHROME PLATED CYLINDERS, so im OK with the nikasil then right? :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • felony

Posted January 10, 2005 - 12:44 PM

your good to go sano

• SXP

Posted January 10, 2005 - 01:06 PM

This Blue426 is just an idiot. OMG. Excuse us non-professional motorcross mechanics, unlike yourself. Top end has never been easy maintenance you @sshole, so dont be such a smart @ss. If you dont like to help out your fellow riders then beat it idiot.
MORON. By the way, learn how to speak english idiot.

Easy, dude! I suspect Blue426 and SanPedro426 are buds ragging on each other.

• sanpedro426

Posted January 10, 2005 - 04:39 PM

Yea guys blue426 is a buddy and were raggin on each other. I took a tumble over new years and had a hard get off, seperating a rib or two:cry: :cry: . I cant wait till he has a crash, ill do him the same .Good lookin out though.

• blue426

Posted January 10, 2005 - 05:11 PM

you stupid hillbilly mother f er you need to stick your skinny little pin head back in the snow in michagan,or where ever your from and stay out of cal.Or my maxis might make a new dirt track out your aceeeeeeeeeeeeeee:moon:

• skthom2320

Posted January 10, 2005 - 06:15 PM

you stupid hillbilly mother f er you need to stick your skinny little pin head back in the snow in michagan,or where ever your from and stay out of cal.Or my maxis might make a new dirt track out your aceeeeeeeeeeeeeee:moon:

&%$#@!? A little 'roid rage?

Lighten up a little bit dude. It's just an internet message board.

• sanpedro426

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:32 PM

&%$#@!, blue , i think all this rain iz makin you crazy. We might go ridin with thease guys one day. I wouldnt want any O thease guys to make a bike rack outa yo ars.:cry:

• MotoChris521

Posted January 11, 2005 - 06:43 AM

My Maxis?Re-Badged Chen-shin.Buy a real tire :cry:

• Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted January 11, 2005 - 11:41 AM

SanPedro426, did you get any of my PM's?
I send them, but it doesn't seem like they're being sent from my mailbox.

BTW, I got the cover just give me a call and we'll make arrangements to meet.

• sanpedro426

Posted January 19, 2005 - 05:40 PM

Back to the original ring question. I have put the rings on the piston and im concerned about the oil ring set. It doesnt seem to me that this set of rings will compress enough to go into the cylinder,. I can compress the other rings by hand but theres no way the oil set will compress enough. I have double checked the part #s and its all cool. BUT I jjust dont know. I wonder if any one has done the top end with a wiseco piston and rings. :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.