Axle Collars

8 replies to this topic
  • J_T

Posted January 05, 2005 - 11:25 AM

has anyone done this yet? http://www.xr650r.us/collars/

When I had my wheel off to replace my tire I noticed mine were grooved pretty good so I need to fix it as well as my rear bearings need replacing so I will do so soon...but was wondering the lifespan of the fix over new collars b/c they cost more to sleeve them than to replace the collars....didn't know if it was worth the extra cash for the sleeves.

Any problems with Pivot Works bearing kits...they come with all bearings and seals for the rear for retail $19.99 from TT store.

Thanks

JT

• J_T

Posted January 05, 2005 - 12:06 PM

in doing some searching my local parts stores don't carry that collar fix...but I found a place online but they were $39 each! so since I need 2 it was going to be pricy...so $12 each collar from Ronayers is cheaper obviously and would take a couple of replacements to equal the cost! of sleeving it!

Unless someone knows where to get the sleeves cheaper?

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 05, 2005 - 01:15 PM

I'm curious too. My rear bearings are on borrowed time. I'll probably just machine up a Ti sleeve at work :cry:. In the mean time it would be nice to know where else they are available.

• RingKingPin

Posted January 05, 2005 - 02:41 PM

why not just turn the entire spacer? I rockwell tested the stockers and they were harder that 316 stainless but that coating is so thin and once it goes, you're into the buttery aluminum. I've been meaning to make some stainless ones but haven't gotten "roundtuit"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • J_T

Posted January 05, 2005 - 03:08 PM

Ya'll are talking about making your own...what sort of shop would have those capibilities? if I was to take my stockers to a place to get them to lathe me some? I don't know much about machine shops...I've taken engine blocks to get that sort of machining but lathing parts from steel or or raw materials I don't know where I'd go.

Thanks

JT

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 05, 2005 - 10:34 PM

To tell you the truth, just about any normal shop will charge you more than it would cost to buy new ones.

But yeah, you need to find someone with a halfway decent lathe to either turn down the worn part so a sleeve can be pressed/glued or cut totally new ones out of aluminum barstock. I was thinking titanium because I have access to it and my collars/sleeves are gold irridited steel. I didnt know the BRP parts were aluminum. Since they are, either have a handful of parts made or get them hard anodized(but then again, see the very top sentence).

• AzMtnThumper

Posted January 06, 2005 - 05:41 AM

Any problems with Pivot Works bearing kits...they come with all bearings and seals for the rear for retail $19.99 from TT store.

Thanks

JT

I've had good luck w/ Pivot Works bearing kits (seems like the bearings appeared to be sealed better than the stock bearings) and that price seems fair. :cry: On the XR600R kit the bearig reatiner was included.

• RingKingPin

Posted January 06, 2005 - 04:20 PM

Yah for sure the easiest and cheapest thing is just to buy some new stockers. Any machine shop would have the capability to turn some of these down but I wouldn't do it out of Aluminum. You see how fast the stockers get smoked after the coating wears off. I made some spacers for some 17" wheels I use from time to time and they got chewed up in one summer and thats on road. I made some new ones outta 316 Stainless and suspect they'll last a while longer. I don't think that you need to do anything to get the sleeves on the beat up stockers, they are tapered I believe.

• J_T

Posted January 06, 2005 - 08:09 PM

Sounds like a plan...I guess I'll drop $20 and buy another pair of stock collars and keep the current ones handy if I run across someone who can turn a new set as a favor...if not I'll see about sleeveing the next set after I pay more attention to keeping the seals clean. But $39 per sleeve right now is too expensive considering I need to replace bearings and some spokes as well! Thanks for all the help ya'll

Be good

JT

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.