oil filter purchase

The Scotts filters to 35 microns (twice the level of OEM brass mesh), and has an outrageous flow rating that allows it to keep the bypass valve closed even when cold, except for those knucklheads who fire their bikes up and hit the rev limiter as soon as the choke's off. For scale, very finely ground sand is about 60 microns, and a white blood cell is 25.

Paper media is capable of filtering below 20 microns in ideal circumstances, but they resist flow to the extent that the bypass valve opens readily when cold, requiring lengthy warm ups to prevent unfiltered oil from being circulated. Paper can also be somewhat inconsistently made, resulting in "bad spots" that allow larger particle through, or weak areas subject to tearing.

My bike came with a paper filter that looks like the aftermarkets I've been using. Was it suposed to be brash mesh?

'01 and '02 used brass mesh. In '03 they went to paper, as it is apparently easy to damage the brass mesh during cleaning and not notice it. They can't handle being blown out with compressed air.

Really?? I've been using them since my 02 WR! I inspect them very carefully, clean them in a little jar of gas or brake/contact cleaner and then air them off with my compressor! No rrips or tears yet!! The rubber on the end will get worn out after time! If you change your oil often, you should have no problems. Just my .02 cents

Put the Wr Brass filter in ! Reusable! I've been using them since my 02 WR! I inspect them very carefully, clean them in a little jar of gas or brake/contact cleaner and then air them off with my compressor! No rrips or tears yet!! The rubber on the end will get worn out after time! If you change your oil often, you should have no problems. Just my .02 cents
First, they only filter to 70-80 microns, and fine sand is about 60-70 microns. A Scotts goes to 35. Second, clean them carefully. If you stretch a section of the mesh from 70 to 150 microns, do you think you will be able to see that?