FMF "Q"

12 replies to this topic
  • Moondogger

Posted January 04, 2005 - 11:34 PM

I installed one last night on the '05 450. It's not so "Q", if you know what I mean. It is definitely louder than stock, which I expected, but I hope it's below the 96db limit. Didn't get to test it much, just back and forth in my parking lot. I couldn't tell any major power increase, but I'll report back after I get it on the trails.

If anyone wants my stock pipe, let me know, I'm going to donate any cash I get for it to the tsunami victims.

-Moondogger

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 05, 2005 - 12:55 AM

I do not know of an easy way to tune the Q muffler to the noise level you need. Michigan is 94 db which means that a freshly packed Q really does not pass on most bikes. The power core 4 allows you to use a quiet core insert and you can make another additional plate cap with a smaller final hole to permanently adjust your noise level. :cry:

• endurodog

Posted January 05, 2005 - 12:11 PM

I have had my Q tested at 95 DB several times. There will be a performance increase from a fully stock system and a performance decrease from a open stock system.

• SMD

Posted January 05, 2005 - 02:40 PM

Ditto what Rex said, I have had my Q tested several times and never exceeded 94dbs. :cry:

• thumper_dad

Posted January 05, 2005 - 03:01 PM

I have purchased 3 Q series pipes until recently I got a Yosh RS3 Comp with the 94db Tec kit, the pipe ran me $275 and the Tec kit was $37.00

without a doubt this pipe has given more of a performance gain than any other pipe I have ever used.

I just had it sound checked at 95db today.

The Q is a great pipe but i believe you can make a factory 4 quiter by using Q packing and a quite core insert.

Good Luck

• PumpkinHumper

Posted January 05, 2005 - 06:51 PM

I worked sound test at a michigan CCC event this summer. The Q on my CRf250X testes at 94db. A Q on my friends yz426 tested at 95.5db. And it was on 2 year old packing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ddialogue

Posted January 05, 2005 - 08:44 PM

I love my Q. It's a good balance between performance and sound.

• unkle_george

Posted January 06, 2005 - 12:02 AM

power core 4

That's what I did. Powercore IV just by itself was over 100. Went down to 95-6 with the quiet insert w/ only a small difference in power.
The insert was just a piece of sheet metal wielded to a thin pipe... not much for the $25, but it works.
FMF .. Good pipes.
- Ryan

• Roosted

Posted January 06, 2005 - 05:59 PM

I have the Q on my 03 WR450 and I'm looking for more power. :cry: Currently looking into the Yosh TRS Pro or Comp.

• Gadsen

Posted January 06, 2005 - 06:26 PM

That's what I did. Powercore IV just by itself was over 100. Went down to 95-6 with the quiet insert w/ only a small difference in power.
The insert was just a piece of sheet metal wielded to a thin pipe... not much for the $25, but it works.
FMF .. Good pipes.
- Ryan

Thanks Unkle George. Thats what I wanted to hear. Indy was the only other one telling me the Powercore IV SA would be under 96 with the insert and I was getting worried. The Powercore IV SA is enroute and I used the link Indy posted and ordered the quiet core insert which is also enroute. I wont be able to test it for a while, the WR is kinda mothballed for a while, but I will report back with my results.

• ETP

Posted January 06, 2005 - 06:55 PM

My Q tested at 95 db new. I assume that most states have the same standards for the sound test? Maybe not. Rev the motor to 1/2 of factory spec redline RPMs (4500?), and hold the db meter at about 24 inches from the rear of the pipe at some angle. Something like that.
If it does not pass, its always fun to ask the ranger when the meter was last calibrated. That gets em goin.

• kirkw

Posted January 08, 2005 - 10:04 AM

I have had a Q on my 2000 wr and have passed sounds in CA several times now. Albeit just barely the last time (about 2years old now for the packing). Like was said above, I did notice a gain over plugged stock, but not over open stock. Ther eis no way open stock would have passed though. For me this is a nice balance between power and not gettign a its too loud "souvinier" from the rangers.

• Gadsen

Posted January 08, 2005 - 10:32 AM

I do not know of an easy way to tune the Q muffler to the noise level you need. Michigan is 94 db which means that a freshly packed Q really does not pass on most bikes. The power core 4 allows you to use a quiet core insert and you can make another additional plate cap with a smaller final hole to permanently adjust your noise level. :cry:

Indy, can you send me a picture of this "plate", I know you run at 93db, I have he PC4 coming with the quiet core insert, but dont think it will be enough. (wanting no more than 96max), PM me with a picture?:cry: :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.