Steering Stabilizer

14 replies to this topic
  • dustdogg

Posted January 04, 2005 - 07:12 PM

Been hearing a lot about steering stabilizers lately but I still have questions. Seems like Scotts is the best, how about GPR? Is it true that only Scotts dampens in both directions. Can you give me the pros and cons to each design?

What about tripple clamps? I have seen the Scotts combo which includes stabilizer, bars and clamp. Is this a good way to go. How about the BRP clamp, it looks like it is a high quality clamp?

Just so you know where I am coming from, I do a lot of desert riding in Mojave, and also trails such as Gorman, Hollister etc. I dont have any real complaints with the bike right now, but was just curious if it would make it that much better. I know some say they would never ride without one, but is it really that great ?: :cry: Or is it to justify spending a bunch of cash? Let me know what ya think :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 04, 2005 - 07:25 PM

Scotts is the way to go if you have the money period! Scotts uses BRP clamps and private labels them. Go for the Pro Tapers and rubber mounted bar option with medium compound inserts. Option to consider their Trail Tech Billet mount package as well! I have had this on my bike since day 1 almost 2 years ago! No complaints! :cry:

• dustdogg

Posted January 04, 2005 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for the quick respnonse Indy :cry: . I didn't know that the clamps are relabled :cry: Do you have any safety concerns with the stabilizer above the bars, or did you cut the pad to cover it? Just wondering because whenever I see this it makes me wonder what could happen. Any other thoughts?

• jerryls

Posted January 04, 2005 - 08:02 PM

You can order the same package directly from BRP w/ the Scotts. It's about $15 more, but you can call Cam (greatest customer service guy ever) and he will walk you through which bar offset, bar bend, and accessories will work best for you. And you can get Spider grips too :cry: .

I wouldn't worry about the position of the stabilizer. I've had more than my share of horrific crashes, and have never done a headplant into the stabilizer. You could always get the new SUB mount (http://www.brpit.com.../sub_mount.html) BRP makes for about the same price if it really concerns you.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 04, 2005 - 08:47 PM

I wouldn't worry about the position of the stabilizer. I've had more than my share of horrific crashes, and have never done a headplant into the stabilizer.

Ditto and always wear a Roost! :cry:

• Roosted

Posted January 05, 2005 - 03:02 PM

I purchased the Scotts for my 98 WR400. I now have that same one on my 03 WR450. The Scotts definatley has been good to me. More adjustments for sure.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 05, 2005 - 03:41 PM

Scotts sells a great product no doubt. There's a lot of debate on who makes the best unit. I've owned both the Scotts and the GPR units. They feel the same to me, I'll I need is for the unit just to take the edge off of things, that's it. The difference is that the Scotts has a second circuit that allows the unit to be free from side to center and the GPR is just on the whole time. That said I still can't tell the difference between the two. The people at GPR are great people that will service the dampener forever for free, Scotts will charge you a minimum of $90 without shipping. I'm sold on the GPR and their big ole' knob on the top.. Oh, they're cheaper too.......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Flip01

Posted January 05, 2005 - 04:20 PM

There's always RTT's stabilizer. It looks like a pretty sweet setup.

http://www.rttmotorsports.com/

• BURLEY

Posted January 05, 2005 - 05:37 PM

There isn't much difference. I run the GPR 2.0 under the bar version and I love it. This is my second GPR unit and they both have been flawless. From a racers standpoint, GPR is great because they will rebuild it for free and show up at most major desert and GP events in the west. Either one is fine but I prefer the GPR. It is MUCH easier to adjust on the fly also.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 05, 2005 - 06:57 PM

Why are you on your second GPR unit? :cry: You can transfer the Scotts from bike to bike with a post mounting kit for the new bike. :cry:

• basicblues

Posted January 05, 2005 - 07:28 PM

Here's a few photo's of my GPR 2.0 which is plenty good enough for me...

GPR #1

GPR #2

GPR #3

• dustdogg

Posted January 05, 2005 - 08:25 PM

Nice pics! :cry: Looks like you can't go wrong with Scotts or GPR. I looked at both of their websites and the pricing is actually pretty close, although the I'm not sure if the GPR combo includes the bars? It didn't sound like it did. :cry:

For any of you with the GPR, is the tripple clamp special or is it the same as any other aftermarket clamp? :cry: :cry: It shows the Applied clamp as part of the package.

Sorry for all the questions but it is great to get your feedback and opinions so quickly :cry:

• BURLEY

Posted January 05, 2005 - 10:49 PM

Why are you on your second GPR unit? :cry: You can transfer the Scotts from bike to bike with a post mounting kit for the new bike. :cry:

Oh, same with the GPR....I sold my 650R with the Damper on it because I wanted the 2.0 on my new bike and because the old one was red. Anal? The unit worked great and was a good selling point for the old bike. My 2.0 is anodized by special order (I have a GPR sponsorship) in thier "Titanium" finish. It looks really nice and if you can wait a couple weeks, you can get a 2.0 for any bike in whatever color you like (blue, yellow, green, orange, black, Ti, purple). Ya I know, color shmolor right? Scotts only comes in one color and if you like that kind of stuff, then GPR is the one. I just like stuff to match that's all :cry:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 06, 2005 - 05:57 AM

Nice pics! :cry: Looks like you can't go wrong with Scotts or GPR. I looked at both of their websites and the pricing is actually pretty close, although the I'm not sure if the GPR combo includes the bars? It didn't sound like it did. :cry:

For any of you with the GPR, is the tripple clamp special or is it the same as any other aftermarket clamp? :cry: :cry: It shows the Applied clamp as part of the package.

Sorry for all the questions but it is great to get your feedback and opinions so quickly :cry:

GPR uses Applied clamps now.. As far as pricing goes, my local dealer can get better deals on the GPR stuff. I can get the GPR combo for less than 500.00 (Stabilizer,topclamp,post and bars)...

• dirtpumpernick

Posted January 23, 2005 - 07:00 PM

Ive added a rtt stabilizer on to my wr450 i love it you need to check them out. Ive got Scott's fans that i ride with and all of them like the idea on the rtt
product. it really works well for my harsh riding environment in SW Missouri. i highly recommend there parts

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.