Looking for 04 WR450f; where to look?

12 replies to this topic
  • kincade

Posted January 04, 2005 - 12:50 PM

I recently bought an 03 wr450f in great shape for a decent price; but after reading about the upgrades for the starter, etc, I think I might sell it and look for an 04.

In looking, the cycletrader lists almost none, especially in my area.

Where else should I look for one? There was a thread here a while ago about someone looking for one, and a bunch of people posted to help him; but I'll be danged if I can't find it.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 04, 2005 - 01:45 PM

Why sell it? For $260. or less you can have the 04 starter upgrade! The 03 is a great bike! You are going to lose more money selling and buying. :cry:

• Endurordr

Posted January 04, 2005 - 02:43 PM

Yeah, that person was me, I agree with Indy but in case you want to do something else, here ya' go... http://www.thumperta...ighlight=WANTED

• dustdogg

Posted January 04, 2005 - 05:57 PM

Why sell it? For $260. or less you can have the 04 starter upgrade! The 03 is a great bike! You are going to lose more money selling and buying. :cry:

Copy that!

Do a search for the part #'s. From what I have heard the swap is pretty easy. Many have already successfully done this with great results. :cry:

• kincade

Posted January 04, 2005 - 06:39 PM

Arent there a few upgrades that have to be done to the '03 to bring it to '04 spec? Or is it only the starter? I was worried about many upgrades, not only the starter...

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 04, 2005 - 07:30 PM

There is very little difference between the 04 and 03. Jetting is different and the 04 starter design with a slightly larger crank end for the starter clutch. Mild suspension variation as well. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Endurordr

Posted January 04, 2005 - 08:22 PM

The '03 also has a 3.1 fuel tank stock, for those long distance rides. With a 2.6 on my '04 I have ridden 60 miles fairly hard and have not used reserve, which I feel is pretty good. My $.02

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 04, 2005 - 08:36 PM

The '03 also has a 3.1 fuel tank stock, for those long distance rides. With a 2.6 on my '04 I have ridden 60 miles fairly hard and have not used reserve, which I feel is pretty good. My $.02

Correction the 03 fuel tank is the same as the 04 a 2.6 gallon! :cry:

• kincade

Posted January 04, 2005 - 10:09 PM

Hmmm; so about the only appreciable differences are the starter, jetting, and a little different suspension? That may not be worth the money! :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 05, 2005 - 01:00 AM

Hmmm; so about the only appreciable differences are the starter, jetting, and a little different suspension? That may not be worth the money! :cry:

You are right on the money! :cry: Yamaha would not have even provided the 04 starter redesign if they did not have so many woodruf key failures in 03 which they denied ever existed! :cry: The 04's were not supposed to be a model upgrade year. :cry:

• Endurordr

Posted January 05, 2005 - 06:53 AM

Correction the 03 fuel tank is the same as the 04 a 2.6 gallon! :cry:

Whoops, I was pretty sure they had the 3.1. Oh well :cry:

• simon@vic

Posted January 05, 2005 - 09:10 AM

The 04's were not supposed to be a model upgrade year. :cry:

yes and no.

according to yami, as far as the customer is concerned its the same bike with a few tweaks. but if you worked at a yami dealer you would have seen the "2004 technical update book" they go into some detail about how and why they changed the starter goodies and the crank.

• kincade

Posted January 05, 2005 - 05:20 PM

Well, I've called every dealer I can think of; and none have any '04's left. So I guess I"ll be sticking w/ the 03!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.