anyone use the "ManFunnel" for your YZ?

8 replies to this topic
  • inte

Posted January 04, 2005 - 11:05 AM

Curious how this thing works. Just purchased an '02 YZ426 & I can see how the oil changes could get messy.

Also, I haven't done a change on this bike yet - what are the procedures for changing? My KTM requires you fill the frame thought a separate plug, then run the bike 'til oil comes out ... there's a few steps.

Anything like that with the Yamaha?

• dustdogg

Posted January 04, 2005 - 12:43 PM

Never used the ManFunnel myself, but I made my own cheap funnel that makes drainining the oil out of the frame easy. Just take a plastic water bottle and cut the bottom off at an angle. Then you can hold the bottle vertically up to the drain plug while it drains into a container on the ground. Although you have to hold it while the oil drains, unlike the ManFunnel it is cheap and easy to do. It also keeps the oil off of the front tire. Hope this helps. :cry:

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted January 04, 2005 - 12:49 PM

1. slowly remove dipstick and clean it
2. remove the engine skid plate
3. drain oil from frame drain plug(be careful, it shoots out pretty far)
4. drain oil from engine drain plug
5. drain oil from oil filter drain bolt
6. remove and clean the oil strainer
7. remove and replace the oil filter
8. reinstall everything(replacing sealing washers and o-rings as needed)
9. fill with oil
10. slightly loosen oil gallery bolt
11. start the bike, oil should weep out from the loosened oil gallery bolt(if it doesnt within a minute shut it off, u have a problem)
12. cheak for leaks, and you're done

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2005 - 01:01 PM

Try this:

http://www.thumperfa.../oil_change.htm

Your '02 is a dry sump system. The frame is the oil tank. Oil is pumped through the engine, then picked up and returned. Yours should fill at the frame, and has a capacity of 1.7 liters (1.6 for an oil change with a filter change, 1.5 for an oil change without a filter).
:cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skthom2320

Posted January 04, 2005 - 03:50 PM

1. slowly remove dipstick and clean it
2. remove the engine skid plate
3. drain oil from frame drain plug(be careful, it shoots out pretty far)
4. drain oil from engine drain plug
5. drain oil from oil filter drain bolt
6. remove and clean the oil strainer
7. remove and replace the oil filter
8. reinstall everything(replacing sealing washers and o-rings as needed)
9. fill with oil
10. slightly loosen oil gallery bolt
11. start the bike, oil should weep out from the loosened oil gallery bolt(if it doesnt within a minute shut it off, u have a problem)
12. cheak for leaks, and you're done

You don't need to remove and inspect the oil strainer under the skid plate at each oil change. Once in a (great) while is fine.

• tnl

Posted January 04, 2005 - 05:27 PM

Can't quite make out what the manual calls an "oil gallery bolt" even after viewing the manual? Any specifics? Yes I'm a newbie!
Thanks.

• dustdogg

Posted January 04, 2005 - 05:50 PM

The oil gallery bolt is used for checking oil pressure. After changing the oil, loosen this bolt while the bike is running, oil should seep out. As soon as this happens tighten the bolt and you are good to go. :cry: Just follow the manual closely and take your time. :cry: :cry:

• Smegol

Posted January 05, 2005 - 01:46 AM

Hahaha the man funnel. Picked it up about 4 months ago out of a clearance bin for $5, got home and tried to use it only to find that the only drain hole it fits is the one on the frame. It won't fit the drain holes on the crank case. So basically now all I have is a wierd looking funnel that doesn't work. It is useless on my 03' 450, dam false advertising.

• slappie

Posted January 05, 2005 - 08:15 AM

Yea, I hate to say that I bought a product that I didn't need but the ManFunnel for my YZ-450 may be one.

It really doesn't help at all except with the frame tank in the downtube and that is easy enough to drain using a standard funnel or homemade one out of a milk bottle, etc.

It doesn't work for the engine drain, or the drain bolt under the shifter. At least, I can't get it to work for those.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I don't think so.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.