Gearing a 426 for Baja

5 replies to this topic
  • terrymc

Posted January 04, 2005 - 08:44 AM

Hey all,

I'm looking for a good gearing for a 01 426 for cruising around Baja. I'd like to have my gearing pretty optimal for sustained speeds in the 60 ~ 70 MPH range.

I'm thinking of using 15/48, thoughts? Has anyone else run that gearing for that type of riding?

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 04, 2005 - 09:07 AM

I think 15/50 is real popular for the WR450 out west. TT member Blireef runs that in La Paz, Baja. I would say 15/48 is pretty good choice! :cry:

• Steviejay01

Posted January 04, 2005 - 09:41 AM

I'd say that sounds about right too....... :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WRSTEVE

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:15 AM

You should have no problems with that set up, I used that back in May when I was down there and was cruising on my 426.

• terrymc

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the input, I ordered 15/48 for the trip.

WRSTEVE, how did you manage all of your belongings for the trip? Were you supported by a truck or did you carry all of your gear on the bike?

We are going for the dirtbag carry all you crap type trip. Fenderbags, backpacks and packing light.

• WRSTEVE

Posted January 10, 2005 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for the input, I ordered 15/48 for the trip.

WRSTEVE, how did you manage all of your belongings for the trip? Were you supported by a truck or did you carry all of your gear on the bike?

We are going for the dirtbag carry all you crap type trip. Fenderbags, backpacks and packing light.

There were six of us, with a GPS, and a map, no support truck. We carried all our belongings with hiking style back packs and I remember one rider had one of those Pro moto billet rack that mounts in the back. http://www.promotobi...m.asp?itemid=42 I personally used a large back pack. When I go again, I will buy that PMB Rack and strap my pack to that. I used my WR426 in stock form, 4 days 780+ miles and had no problems.

Side note: Spend the extra time and money and put in the thickest tubes you can find as well as new tires. Always have extra tubes especially the front, because you can use a front tube in the rear if needed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.