trail-tech

9 replies to this topic
  • xlerate

Posted January 03, 2005 - 10:00 PM

this has probably been covered, but anyway: trail tech is telling my they can't guaranty thier computer will fit my 85 xl 600. anyone know if it can be made to work? which kit do i order?

• qadsan

Posted January 03, 2005 - 10:21 PM

Does it have a disk or drum brake? I've installed these and similar units on various motorcycles & ATV's. I installed one on our Honda TR200 FatCat and there's no kit for it. The TR200 uses drum brakes. I used TrailTech's Yamaha Blaster kit which has the sensor potted in a threaded shank. I bonded a magnet to the wheel and made a custom bracket for the sensor to thread into (welded a nut to a steel bracket), but this sensor can also be tie strapped to the lower fork leg as long as the sensor comes very close to being in contact with the magnet. Wheel size doesn't matter too much because that can easily be programmed into most of these small computers including the TrailTech. If this bike has a front drum brake, then I'd suggest looking at the Yamaha Blaster kit if you want to stick with TrailTech.

• don87xr600

Posted January 03, 2005 - 10:27 PM

Are you talking to the sales department or to tech support? Tech support just about told me if I brought my bike over they would install it. 360-687-4530. P.S. It still sucks, get a gps instead.

• xlerate

Posted January 04, 2005 - 05:30 AM

this bike has a front disc brake. i probably talked to the sales department via e-mail. i'll try tech support. thought maybe someone had installed one on an older xr600. is the gps systems comparable in price?

thanks.

• qadsan

Posted January 04, 2005 - 08:31 AM

Basic GPS's aren't all that expensive and I run both a trip computer and GPS. The downside with the GPS is I don't get coverage everywhere (canyons, heavily forested areas, etc), but it's great in the deserts. The trip computer works 100% of the time, which is why I like having one. The TrailTech is a good unit if you don't mind taking excellent care of it all the time, but the ICO units are significantly more durable (and more expensive). If you really want an inexpensive trip computer to play with, you can buy a new older model CatEye Enduro bicycle computer on eBay and adapt it to your motorcycle as others have done.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • StevePSD

Posted January 04, 2005 - 05:38 PM

Here is what Trail-Tech said when I inquired about fittment for my '87 XR600R, which should be similiar to your XL600:

"Computer kit used was part number 400-20. The older bikes are more difficult because the brake caliper mounts are often thinner. You may need to shim the sensor away from the rotor surface somewhat."

The 400-20 kit fits '95-2003 XR's.

Hope this helps.

-steve

• michaeln

Posted January 04, 2005 - 06:00 PM

I just JB Welded the sensor to my left fork leg on my XR650L. Been working fine that way for a year.

• don87xr600

Posted January 04, 2005 - 06:15 PM

I've always said reading the directions was overrated :cry:

• Kritter

Posted January 04, 2005 - 08:36 PM

ive got one ride on mine and the POS doesnt work anymore...computer turns on but doesnt sense the tire is spinning...worked like a charm the first time I took it out...now it doesn twork.

Sensor is there, pickup is there, cable seems to be ok...what gives!

• qadsan

Posted January 04, 2005 - 09:01 PM

Try moving the magnet closer to the sensor. There's a dead spot in the center of the sensor, so if the magnet is passing in the middle of the sensor, then that's likely the source of intermittent problems. Make sure the magnet passes to within 1/2 inch from the tip.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.