Oil Change on XR650R??

4 replies to this topic
  • Rickyracer

Posted January 03, 2005 - 08:50 PM

Hello All,
I was reading some posts and saw some people talking about installing their oil filters in backwards, I don't know if I did or not, How do you tell???

One post said that the filter said "out side of motor", but my Fram filter had no such writing on it. How do you tell???
Ricky :cry:

• qadsan

Posted January 03, 2005 - 09:14 PM

One side of your oil filter will be indented where the spring seats. The spring fits inside the fingers in oil filter housing (part of your right crankcase cover) and butts to the indented seat on the oil filter. The other side of the oil filter has a rubber gasket that faces towards the outside (plugs into the oil filter cover).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HooliKen

Posted January 04, 2005 - 06:04 AM

Since having the same filter set up on a couple quads I used to own I came up with an association term that has helped!!

Remember Ace Ventura "Pet Detective"
"Laces out Dan"

"O'ring out jackass"

• Rickyracer

Posted January 04, 2005 - 02:24 PM

Thank You all,
I don't think I can mess this up again!
The filter, I don't beleive has any marking on it though
Thanks again,

• Fingers

Posted January 04, 2005 - 06:53 PM

DONT RUN THE BIKE TILL YOU ARE SURE, YOU WILL TOAST THE MOTOR. Genuine Honda filters have writing on them to tell you which way is out. Most aftermarket I have seen do not.

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.