04 XR650L countershaft sprocket cover

4 replies to this topic
  • Yeravener

Posted January 03, 2005 - 04:08 PM

Not liking painful toes, I would like to raise the Moose gearshift I just purchased to a higher level than the stocker I just replaced. However, I am prevented from raising it sufficiently by the countershaft sprocket cover.

I did some preliminary searches at several major distributors and websites, but cannot find a replacement cover. Can anyone suggest an aftermarket cover which is not so obtrusive and will allow one to roate the gearshift up?

Thanks in advance.

• Yeravener

Posted January 03, 2005 - 05:05 PM

Worst case, I suppose, is that I take my trusty dremel to it (it seems like its made of plastic) and fashion a small pie shaped cutout. This will work if there is no other solution out there...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HondaXR650R

Posted January 03, 2005 - 06:56 PM

Worst case, I suppose, is that I take my trusty dremel to it (it seems like its made of plastic) and fashion a small pie shaped cutout. This will work if there is no other solution out there...

That would work. :cry: It just might not be pretty. :cry: haha

• Dual_Dog

Posted January 03, 2005 - 07:22 PM

Not liking painful toes, I would like to raise the Moose gearshift I just purchased to a higher level than the stocker I just replaced. However, I am prevented from raising it sufficiently by the countershaft sprocket cover.

I did some preliminary searches at several major distributors and websites, but cannot find a replacement cover. Can anyone suggest an aftermarket cover which is not so obtrusive and will allow one to roate the gearshift up?

Thanks in advance.

Keep using the stock one and save the $. I don't even know if there is an aftermarket one for the XRL.

This happened to my XRL riding friend & I over a year ago. We went riding with MX boots for the first time with our L's and we couldn't get our boot toes under the shifter using the footpeg, let alone upshift. For this ride we headed back to Point 'A' and removed our CS covers completely.

When I got back to my garage after our ride, I took a sabre (jig) saw with a metal cutting blade and really notched the stock cover to allow the shifter arm to be rotated and to be able to upshift while still keeping the CS cover on the bike. Getting even more trick I drilled and cut out the oval slots on the cover, sort of like the ones on the old XL600R's. It looks super clean and it dropped about 4 oz's of weight. :cry:

I really had fun moddin' the crap out of my XRL and it's definitely customized. Don't be afraid to "cut" into yours.

• Yeravener

Posted January 03, 2005 - 07:39 PM

Thank you, gents...that's what I needed...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.