Timing Change Required ? WR 426

6 replies to this topic
  • jezza426

Posted July 29, 2001 - 06:33 AM

Greetings I live in Western Australia, have recently bought a new 2001 WR426 off a dealer who doesnt sell many and tells me there is NO difference in the timing between the WRs and the YZs. I have heard conflicting views on this. Can anyone help ?

ps. heaps of great riding here in Australia you blokes should get down here if you can.

------------------
OzJezza426

• MN_Kevin

Posted July 29, 2001 - 10:34 AM

Unless there is something goofy about Australian bikes, your dealer is wrong.

Does "Blokes" mean something like "You cool United States Dudes?" :)

I am STILL planning on a trip to OZ, was a couple of years ago to meet Mitch the Mysterious out of Melborne.

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

[This message has been edited by NH Kevin (edited 07-29-2001).]

• jezza426

Posted July 29, 2001 - 02:57 PM

No blokes means "mate" but you were sort of right. Thanks for that. But How is the timing different and how do I change it ? Are there any dangers ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wrooster

Posted July 29, 2001 - 05:45 PM

jezza,
process for 426 is same as for the 250. see the link below, and i have but one tip: GET IT REALLY CLEAN UNDER THE TANK *BEFORE* YOU TAKE THE CAM COVER OFF! wash the bike with the gas tank off, and then wrap "saran wrap" (plastic food wrap) around the down tube and around both radiators. you can't help but bump the wires/cables on the downtube when you take the cam cover off, and dirt will fall right into your shiny new engine. ack!

the whole process takes about:

-- 30min, if you know exactly what you are doing
-- 45min, me.
-- 1 hour, if you take your time, work with extreme care, and drink a beer at the halfway point.
-- 6.5 hours, if you drop the "C"-clip exhaust cam retainer into the engine.

have fun.
http://www.thumperta...TML/000701.html

the wrooster
'01 wr250f

• jezza426

Posted July 29, 2001 - 11:38 PM

Thanks very much for that Rooster. That was of great help. I printed the link, took it to the mechanic at my Yamaha dealership and he is fanally convinced I was right !
I am going to get him to do it as the bike is still under warranty
cheers
jezza

• Jason_Williams

Posted July 30, 2001 - 09:35 PM

Be careful with your waranty. I thought someone at this site had a problem and that they wouldn't waranty it because it had been changed to yz timing. But I think it was because of the dreaded retainer clip dropping into the abiss. I yz timed mine and love it. This is pretty easy to do if you wanted to do it your self.

• jezza426

Posted August 02, 2001 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for that Jason I will keep it in mind when Im doing the job. Happy riding !

Originally posted by Jason Williams:
Be careful with your waranty. I thought someone at this site had a problem and that they wouldn't waranty it because it had been changed to yz timing. But I think it was because of the dreaded retainer clip dropping into the abiss. I yz timed mine and love it. This is pretty easy to do if you wanted to do it your self.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.