YZ450 - KYB Fork Oil Change?

1 reply to this topic
  • PimpdYZ

Posted January 03, 2005 - 03:11 PM

I have a strange noise coming from my 03 KYB forks when I near the top of the stroke. :cry: I compress the forks, then pull up and in the last inch or so in makes sort of a click sound....like there isnt enough oil. Is this NORMAL??

I was going to do an oil change anyway, but have no experience with these forks. Any tips or techniques that you can share would be helpful in making it a successful job.

What weight oil comes stock??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2005 - 03:50 PM

It does sound like they might be low. But check the steering head bearing for being tight enough, too.

YZF forks come with 5wt fork oil. Use a hydraulic fork oil, NOT any kind of engine oil. Dexron II or III will also work. It's a little heavier at 7.5 wt.

You'll need about a quart if you're planning to set the level at 120-130 and you don't spill any.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.