YZ400 Fork Seal Change

5 replies to this topic
  • hmrland

Posted January 03, 2005 - 01:38 PM

I'm in need of a "good" step-by-step for fork seal change and oil replacement. Just bought a '99 a while back and have a leaking front left. I did the 35mm film trick and it worked for a while but it still was bottoming.

• SlowJoe400

Posted January 03, 2005 - 01:55 PM

yeah i was wondering how to change the seal myself. my 400 left fork seal is leaking oil.

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted January 03, 2005 - 01:58 PM

If you have the manual it is pretty basic. I just did the seals on my wr and it was easy. If you don't have the manual I would suggest getting it before stating this process.
The short version. Remove forks from the triple clamp, take the caps off and remove the springs. Dump the oil out. Pump the dampner rod up and down many times to remove all the oil. pull the dust cover back, then fully compress the shock and pull it back quickly a few times to dislodge the old seal. Install new seal( i took mine to a mechaninc and had him press the seal in, didn't cost me anything) then add oil to appropriate level, pump the rod a few times to evenly disperse oil, add more if necesssary, put every thing back together.

It is easy, but there are some important steps that i didn't explain that are explained very well in the manual. Beg, borrow or steal to get a manual before starting. It has all the torque settings and other helpful info.

Get the manual. OH and BTW get the manual.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted January 03, 2005 - 04:20 PM

SlowJoe and Hmrland - Where are you guys located? I'm in Huntington Beach and would be happy to walk you guys through the process if you would like to drop by and learn. I have all the tools you'd need.

• Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted January 03, 2005 - 04:55 PM

SXP knows his Yami forks!!!!
He helped (actually, did most of the work) on my YZ426 forks and shock. We swapped out springs, changed seals/bushings and replaced fluid in the forks. It didnt seem too tough but it was nice watching him do it and I know I can do it in the future. Plus he has all the tools that would otherwise have you rip your hair out.

Thanks again SXP!

• hmrland

Posted January 04, 2005 - 06:58 AM

SXP:
Thanks. I'll definitely take you up on the offer. I'm down the road from you in Lake Forest. I'll PM you to see what your schedule is like the next couple of weeks. :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.