Mobile 1 Red Cap?

37 replies to this topic
  • longdrink

Posted January 07, 2005 - 07:40 AM

I have used Mobil 1 red cap for a year and think it works great in my 04 yzf 450. Go with it.

• Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted January 07, 2005 - 11:04 AM

When transitioning to synthetic oil are there any specific steps to be taken to ensure all the petroleum oil is gone from the crank/frame? Does it matter?

• yz426onNOS

Posted January 07, 2005 - 11:07 AM

Dose not matter. They are fine to mix.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 07, 2005 - 03:15 PM

I run Redline pure synthetic and it is made for four strokes. :cry:

I hate to ask what this stuff cost... I used to run it in mar IT SCCA - car awesome product! :cry:

Also how often do you find you have to change your with this stuff? The REDline motoroil definitely had a longer life in my cars - :cry:

just curious?

• crayztwentyseven

Posted January 07, 2005 - 04:14 PM

My brother is a manager for a company called Pacific Pride, which in other areas of Cali is called Interstate Oil. He gets me an awesome discount on this stuff. :cry: I think it is 6.50 a quart. But he gets it to me for closer to 3.50. :cry: And If I buy two cases at once its an even better price break. :cry: And I can go twice as long without changing oil. But I dont. I change oil every 5 rides. If I was using cheaper stuff I would change every three rides. For how clean it is though, I could probably go 10 rides before a change, I'm just a maintenance :cry: FREAK!! :cry:

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2005 - 04:50 PM

And I can go twice as long without changing oil. But I dont. I change oil every 5 rides. If I was using cheaper stuff I would change every three rides. For how clean it is though, I could probably go 10 rides before a change, I'm just a maintenance :cry: FREAK!! :cry:

Some things to consider: It doesn't matter how much your oil costs, your engine costs more, lots more. The ratings given out for oil change intervals assume a level of filtration I'm not convinced is available to us on a YZF, or any motorcycle. In addition to that, YZFs run the oil through the transmission, which tends to chew up the oil pretty rapidly. What gets broken down first is the long chain molecules added in to make it a multi-grade oil. TT'r SUnruh has reported oil analyses showing viscosity loss after just a few HOURS use that resulted in a 10w-40 testing as a 7w-32. (Using oils that carry Commercial (CF or higher) grades helps defend against this). Besides, the clutch and trans dump more crap in your oil than 3 of your engines would.

I change mine every 3 ride days, or every race day, and always clean the filter.

• MX2Havasu

Posted January 08, 2005 - 09:00 AM

FYI-Just picked up a 5 quart container of Mobil 1 Red Cap last night at Walmart for $22.97. I'm located in So.Cal.

• Whoya

Posted January 08, 2005 - 07:10 PM

Mx4t 3 years now. Alot of people like the red cap mobil 1 though

• crayztwentyseven

Posted January 08, 2005 - 11:23 PM

Some things to consider: It doesn't matter how much your oil costs, your engine costs more, lots more. The ratings given out for oil change intervals assume a level of filtration I'm not convinced is available to us on a YZF, or any motorcycle. In addition to that, YZFs run the oil through the transmission, which tends to chew up the oil pretty rapidly. What gets broken down first is the long chain molecules added in to make it a multi-grade oil. TT'r SUnruh has reported oil analyses showing viscosity loss after just a few HOURS use that resulted in a 10w-40 testing as a 7w-32. (Using oils that carry Commercial (CF or higher) grades helps defend against this). Besides, the clutch and trans dump more crap in your oil than 3 of your engines would.

I change mine every 3 ride days, or every race day, and always clean the filter.

You're right, If I could not get the price break I would still be buying 6-8 dollar a quart oil because of what you said. "Your engine costs more than the oil". I've just noticed that since Im not much of a clutch abuser that my oil comes out pretty clean.Thats why I said I "could" go 10 rides but do not:naughty: . Also since I can get that good of a price break then why not. I could be getting 4.00 a quart oil from my brother for 89cents but why not run the best oil I can get:excuseme: . BTW when you refer to TT'r SUnruh. What is this?:cry: I'm not being pickey, I'm just curious.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WheelsUp

Posted January 08, 2005 - 11:41 PM

Where do you buy this stuff? Local Yamaha shop wants $12/quart for castrol synthetic. Ugh.... Not available at Autozone?

Local Discount Motorcycle Shop:
YamaLube 4 = $3.95
YamaLube 4R = $7.95
M1 4stk = $9.99

Wal-Mart
M1 4stk = $6.95

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2005 - 11:46 PM

BTW when you refer to TT'r SUnruh. What is this?:cry: I'm not being pickey, I'm just curious.

SUnruh is a Thumper Talk (TT) member whose opinions I have come to respect. He's also one of the moderators on the 250F forum. I was quoting some info he posted.

You don't have to defend saving a buck to me, either. I was only referring to how easily published oil change intervals can mislead people.

:cry:

• crayztwentyseven

Posted January 09, 2005 - 12:05 AM

I'll have to check out some of his threads then:thumbsup:

Also with the oil change interval I have known many people to neglect changing oil, even while racing, my brothers manual did not specify so he thought every 20 rides or so:eek: :cry: :cry: . WHOA!! He only did this once until my dad found out and gave him a good talk:bonk:

• SLO_Rider

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:25 AM

I recently switched to Amsoil 100% synthetic 10w-40. $5 a quart and doesn't contain any Molly (Mobile recently started adding molly to the red cap oil). Amsoil is one of the best oils out there!

• Jetsprint2

Posted January 10, 2005 - 09:32 AM

I recently switched to Amsoil 100% synthetic 10w-40. $5 a quart and doesn't contain any Moll (Mobile recently started adding molly to the red cap oil). Amsoil is one of the best oils out there!

What is Molly, is it chrome molly and why would they start adding it now?:cry:

• SLO_Rider

Posted January 10, 2005 - 12:14 PM

Here is a good article on motor oil...........

Motorcycle Motor Oil

• ovrrdrive

Posted January 10, 2005 - 04:15 PM

I recently switched to Amsoil 100% synthetic 10w-40. $5 a quart and doesn't contain any Molly (Mobile recently started adding molly to the red cap oil). Amsoil is one of the best oils out there!

If indeed they started adding molly to the oil, the oil is still fine for the bikes so it should be even better than before. If they found a formulation of molly that doesn't cause the clutch to slip, it should provide better lubrication than it did before.

My clutch doesn't slip even the slightest bit, and all I have ever run in the bike is M1 red cap. I plan on continuing to do so as well.

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2005 - 04:29 PM

What is Molly, is it chrome molly and why would they start adding it now?:cry:

Moly is molybdenum, usually in the form of molybdenum disulfide, and is a friction reducer. Consensus generally is that it would not be a benefit for a wet clutch. Depends on the quantity per volume.

• KaBooM

Posted January 11, 2005 - 07:10 AM

Red Cap for over two years. great product!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.