Mobile 1 Red Cap?

37 replies to this topic
  • Jetsprint2

Posted January 03, 2005 - 12:13 PM

I am planning on running Mobile 1 red cap oil (15 50) in my 04 450f. Please let me know if this oil is ok to run in the yzf. Give me some examples of what you guys run. My bike has very few rides, only 4 oil changes and I have used Bell Ray thumper oil. I think I can buy the mobile one in larger quantities and save some $. Any ideas would be appreciated. :cry:

• Satch0922

Posted January 03, 2005 - 12:26 PM

used Red cap for over 2 years in my 426 with no problems and no clutch issues. You will get a thousand answers....kinda like asking someone which light beer is the best! !LOL

• grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2005 - 12:50 PM

Why not consider Mobile 1's new MX4T four-stroke motorcycle oil. It IS a JASO MA grade oil, IS an API SH oil, and on top of that, it carries a CF grading, which means it will probably hold its viscosity longer when used in a transmission. And, of course, it's a Mobile 1 full synthetic product. Looks to me as if it covers all the bases.

I've used it for 2 oil changes now and no clutch problems. With the JASO MA grading, I didn't expect any, since one of the things that grade specifically means is that it is suitable for use with wet clutches in motorcycles.

:cry:

• ovrrdrive

Posted January 03, 2005 - 01:47 PM

red cap is working fine for me too...

• tnl

Posted January 03, 2005 - 08:14 PM

Where do you buy this stuff? Local Yamaha shop wants $12/quart for castrol synthetic. Ugh.... Not available at Autozone?

• yz426onNOS

Posted January 03, 2005 - 09:09 PM

Red cap all the way!!!!

• ovrrdrive

Posted January 04, 2005 - 01:43 AM

Where do you buy this stuff? Local Yamaha shop wants $12/quart for castrol synthetic. Ugh.... Not available at Autozone?

Walmart has it for like $19 for a 5 quart jug.

• Jetsprint2

Posted January 05, 2005 - 08:21 AM

Walmart has it for like $19 for a 5 quart jug.

Are you talking about mobile 1 red cap or the Castrol? :cry: :cry:

• dmxracing

Posted January 05, 2005 - 09:46 AM

I know the M1 Red Cap is an awesome oil but I would not recommend it if you are a clutch slipper. This oil is so slick that I feel it promotes slippage on the clutch. I ended up burning up a clutch in my 03.

I have been running Yamalube 4(Non-synthetic) with no problems. I feel it is not too critical of what type of oil you run, but how often you change your oil.

• ovrrdrive

Posted January 05, 2005 - 09:56 AM

Are you talking about mobile 1 red cap or the Castrol? :cry: :cry:

Sorry I didn't quote...

That's the Mobile 1 red cap.

:cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted January 05, 2005 - 10:01 AM

I know the M1 Red Cap is an awesome oil but I would not recommend it if you are a clutch slipper. This oil is so slick that I feel it promotes slippage on the clutch. I ended up burning up a clutch in my 03.

I have been running Yamalube 4(Non-synthetic) with no problems. I feel it is not too critical of what type of oil you run, but how often you change your oil.

My 03 never shifted correctly with Yamalube for some strange reason...I have been using Mobil 1 red cap since the bike was new .... this week i get to take the top end out - I can not wait to see the condition of the internals running this oil - I'll bet it looks better than any of my 426's running Yamalube 4R

• Hurricane

Posted January 05, 2005 - 10:35 AM

I've been running red cap in my 98 WR for about 3 years now without any problems. You can get a 5 quart jug at Walmart for $19.96!! :cry:

• Jetsprint2

Posted January 05, 2005 - 10:54 AM

My 03 never shifted correctly with Yamalube for some strange reason...I have been using Mobil 1 red cap since the bike was new .... this week i get to take the top end out - I can not wait to see the condition of the internals running this oil - I'll bet it looks better than any of my 426's running Yamalube 4R

That sounds great, post an update when you see the condition of the internals. I am convinced that I will run red cap especially for $20.00 for 5 quarts! Thanks a lot guys I appreciate the help. :cry:

• yz426onNOS

Posted January 05, 2005 - 12:06 PM

My 00 with a 400 pund guy and a ton of mud never slipped in five years. I got five years out of the stock clutch before I snapped a disc. With a modded motor. Thats with rideing every weekend for 5 years in the great northwest! Were talking steep, up hill singal track. You had to slip the clutch!

• WR426madness

Posted January 06, 2005 - 04:00 PM

I agree you can't go wrong with the Mobil1 15W50 red cap in most cases including mine you will notice improved shifting. :cry:

• 2000YZ426dude

Posted January 06, 2005 - 07:30 PM

hey guys i was woundering what exactly is mobil Red cap is cause i was going to put it in my bike my next oil change but wasn't sure if the oil u guys are using is like used for automotive and it isn't specificley for motorcycles. so i ended up buying the MX4t synthetic mobile one and so seems to be alright.

• yz426onNOS

Posted January 06, 2005 - 07:33 PM

It is synthetic raceing oil. Pretty much the 3rd best oil you can get. The other oils that are better are like 50 bucks a quart and are used in ferrari's.

• crayztwentyseven

Posted January 06, 2005 - 10:07 PM

In your opinion. What are the better oils? Im not ragging on you. I am just curious.

• yz426onNOS

Posted January 06, 2005 - 10:10 PM

The names of the oils are complex and I cannot remember them, sorry. Mobile-1 will be the best for you.

• crayztwentyseven

Posted January 06, 2005 - 11:05 PM

I run Redline pure synthetic and it is made for four strokes. :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.