Break in period

13 replies to this topic
  • thumper_dad

Posted January 03, 2005 - 06:57 AM

Because of rains and family I havent had anytime to ride my new 450 but when I go and ride it up and down the street it wont stay running, everytime i let off the gas it dies, anyone else have this problem when breaking there bike in?

Thanks Rich

• Domenic_WRF

Posted January 03, 2005 - 07:29 AM

Rich: I don't know if it's normal for the 05 not to idle, but mine wouldn't run either.. :cry: Drove it up the street about a 100 yards running like sh*t, brought it back to the garage and pulled the carburetor. Installed the spare JD red needle, 170 mj, turn the fs out to 1.75, yz throttle stop and it runs perfect. Also did the other mods while torn apart.. :cry:

• Texas4play

Posted January 03, 2005 - 08:06 AM

I highly recommend the JD carb kit but, in your case, could it be just an idle speed adjustment?

• Flip01

Posted January 03, 2005 - 08:06 AM

It's all about the jetting. Way too lean from the factory. Mine used to do the same until I rejetted. :cry:

• thumper_dad

Posted January 03, 2005 - 09:39 AM

Jesus, you would think that it would atleast idle coming from the dealer no?
I am blown away that i would have to do anything but ride it.
this is like the old days when you bought a bike, threw 65% of it away and replaced with aftermarket just to make it work right.

I take one look at all that crap hanging around the carb and go back inside the house where its warm. :cry:

I wanted to run the Hollister National this weekend and figured , New bike = no trouble :cry:

Yea Right

Richard

• Flip01

Posted January 03, 2005 - 10:17 AM

Ya know, I hear you on this one. New bike should = no troubles. But, seriously though, once you re-jet the '05 its a whole different bike. Changing the needle and main jet is fairly easy too. You can also get away pretty cheap if you wanted to. Just buy the YZ needle, a main, and just turn out the fuel screw with a flat head.

• thumper_dad

Posted January 03, 2005 - 10:24 AM

Flip, did you have to pull the carb? and what about all the AIS around it?

Thanks Richard

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Flip01

Posted January 03, 2005 - 11:36 AM

Did I HAVE to pull the carb? No. DID I pull the carb? Yes. I pulled it out to install the ZipTy fuel screw. Even then I didn't NEED to. Pulling the carb out is actually pretty easy if you follow the manual.

The AIS is not a factor other than removing the 2 bolts that mount the actual pump in order to get it to flop out of the way so you can access the throttle linkage. It's cake....really. I probably had a total of 1 hour in to removing the carb, replacing the needle,main jet, and fuel screw, then putting the whole thing back together. Had I to do over again, I could do it in half the time. Well worth the minimal time and effort. :cry:

• thumper_dad

Posted January 03, 2005 - 01:29 PM

hrmm, cool, then i will order up the JD kit today, my Yosh pipe should arrive tomorrow, i might try to run it for a while and see if the pipe does any good

• Flip01

Posted January 03, 2005 - 03:07 PM

hrmm, cool, then i will order up the JD kit today, my Yosh pipe should arrive tomorrow, i might try to run it for a while and see if the pipe does any good

Not to burst yer bubble, but probably not. If anything, it'll just make it leaner. The very first thing I put on my 05 was the E2 pipe and it didn't make a difference. Don't forget if you don't feel like waiting, you could always go see if the local dealer has the YZ needle and the right main jet in stock. Where in Cali are you?

• JDube

Posted January 07, 2005 - 08:12 PM

I hear you buddy, I have the same problem, bad weather in so cal, new WR450 hadn't seen the dirt yet. Bought BIG BLUE several weeks ago and couldn't wait to wrench on it, but saw all those hoses and cables and freaked out! :cry:

• Satch0922

Posted January 08, 2005 - 06:00 AM

very interesting as my 2005 YZ250 smoker would not idle either....however it was just a turn of the idle adjuster. Jetting was/is dead on.

• RdeBlue001

Posted January 08, 2005 - 02:07 PM

cmon guys i live in so cal to if theres bad weather u ride in the mud its great i do it all the time... lke today i had a great ride in poway through a ton of trails...
im thinking of getting either a wr250 or 450
i dont know yet though what do u guys think

• Flip01

Posted January 08, 2005 - 03:10 PM

cmon guys i live in so cal to if theres bad weather u ride in the mud its great i do it all the time... lke today i had a great ride in poway through a ton of trails...
im thinking of getting either a wr250 or 450
i dont know yet though what do u guys think

Man, has this thread been hijacked or what? :cry: :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.