Steering

9 replies to this topic
  • marcusmoberg

Posted January 02, 2005 - 10:15 PM

I have been having trouble with my steering! The bike is hard to steer. The steering is stiff. I think I need to change the bearings on the steering head! I'm going to take it to a Yamaha Shop to let them check it out and fix it.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted January 02, 2005 - 10:58 PM

O.K then. :cry:

• rebel1916

Posted January 03, 2005 - 04:17 AM

i find that removing every 6th spoke lightens up the steering quite a bit

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 03, 2005 - 06:18 AM

I have been having trouble with my steering! The bike is hard to steer. The steering is stiff. I think I need to change the bearings on the steering head! I'm going to take it to a Yamaha Shop to let them check it out and fix it.

Hey Marcus you are probably right. Time for new tapered bearings for your 400. You can save your self some money and just take in the steering head post and have them press off the bearing you can get the one in the steering head yourself from the bottom. :cry:

• Bamster

Posted January 03, 2005 - 09:29 AM

Well if your steering stem bearings have never seen service there is a good chance your linkage and swing arm bearing havn't iether. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • StreetbikePimp

Posted January 03, 2005 - 10:55 AM

Good Post Marcus. :cry:

As Bamster said, your swingarm bearings and shock linkage are probaly in need of service as well. If you already took the bike to the dealer, ask them to check it out.

The bearings for the shock linkage is an fairly easy DIY job if you wish to get some wrenching experience.

Good Luck. :cry:

• simon@vic

Posted January 03, 2005 - 11:12 AM

You can save your self some money and just take in the steering head post and have them press off the bearing you can get the one in the steering head yourself from the bottom. :cry:

you can do it all at home with out a press or a bearing jig. if done wrong you can score up your lower. but done right its quick and easy. but by the sounds of it he wont be able to do anything him self.

• gloft

Posted January 03, 2005 - 12:46 PM

If he removes the handle bars from their mounts that should reduce the steering resistance :cry: :cry:

• drewpeacock

Posted January 03, 2005 - 04:21 PM

You might just be getting weak. Maybe you need to get a membership to Curves to work out with twoblackskirts. Then you too could post your pics all over TT.

• simch

Posted January 03, 2005 - 04:42 PM

I think it is just cos your right arm is so much stronger than your left one, Marcus. Must be all that "exercise" you do.......!?!?! lol

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.