'03 WR450 cam mod

2 replies to this topic
  • Mattheww

Posted January 02, 2005 - 06:52 PM

I just bought this bike a couple months ago and have done all the free mods and a JD Jetting kit. I'm used to my old '96 RM250 W/10oz flywheel weight, so the WR450 seems pretty mild even though it has a lot more torque. I'm thinking about trying either the YZ cam or a Hot Cam. Which has the best mid/top end? Anyone have any links to a site that shows how to swap the cams? Will I have to adjust the valves any or is it just an easy swap?

Thanks, Matt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted January 02, 2005 - 07:44 PM

I'm running a YZ cam in my '04 WR450 and a Hot Cams exhaust cam in my '01 WR426. I think to get any real benefit out of the Hot Cams you need to buy the set (i.e. - intake & exhaust). That being said I think you'd be very happy with the YZ cam. It really wakes up the WR though it's not for the timid or probably the woods as the power curve has a pretty big hit. IMO it's a great setup for desert riding. The clearances were in spec at install so I didn't have to reshim.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 03, 2005 - 06:26 AM

Yes I have heard that the Hot cams is the set up for most engine builders on the YZ450 s and they use and adjustable sprocket for timing set up. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.