Removing "O" Ring Chain Link

7 replies to this topic
  • Ron_S

Posted July 28, 2001 - 03:08 AM

I never had an O ring chain before, and I dropped to a 13 tooth primary. I lowered my front forks 1/2", and that seemed to make a difference in the turning. I want to take a link out of my chain to shorten the wheelbase a little more, but I'm unsure if the old technique of just grinding the link pin down then punching it out is the way to do it. I see link breakers, but never used them. Thanks, Ron

• MOmilkman

Posted July 28, 2001 - 04:19 AM

Its very possible to do it this way. I have had friends tell me thats the way they do it and they would never buy a chain breaker bacause its just a waste of money.
Quite the contrare - monfrare.
I tried breaking my chain using the ol' grinding method the first time and I was out in the shop grinding and slamming it with a punch and sledgehammer untill I was blue in the face. Im sure it works if you have the patience and time but if you think you might do this again in the future then I highly suggest the breaker.

Motion Pro sells one for about $25 I believe. (Be sure and get some instructions on how to use it properly or you can break the pin in it. (Although that is replaceable too) Good luck!

Darin

------------------
Darin in Missouri - 1999 WR400F
Enduro Heaven - Ozark Mountain TrailRiders

• PMAUST

Posted July 28, 2001 - 05:26 AM

Its very interesting. My 00WR400(Canadian) came with the o-ring chain with the old fashioned Master link. My friend who got either a 00 or 01 WR250 has none! I don't know why the difference. I pull my chain off pretty offen to soak it. I also bought a chain breaker. Good investment. They don't cost very much and if you ever need one they come in real handy. Personally, if i had to grind it, I would only do it once, then get a Master link. Good luck, P

• motoman393

Posted July 28, 2001 - 05:14 PM

I always use the grinding method...the key is you have to punch it out when it is still hot (you can you a propane torch to ease it out). You also have to grind it down a little more than one might think! I have done this probably 10-15 times and it has worked great every time on O-ring, x-ring, and regular chains! It takes around 5 minutes to do!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 426!
Motoman393's MX Site

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaCazi

Posted July 29, 2001 - 10:03 AM

What are you guys talking about....Chain Brakers and sledge Hammers....Man what overkill.

Dude I change chains almost every weekend...Mostly for others that come up to my race trailer asking for help....

Do yourself a favor go out and purchase the cheapest Dremmel tool you can find and a box of grinding wheels. Grind the heads off the link you want to change and then pry the link apart with a flat tim screw driver. If your working on a 400/426 chain (520) it is a snap. If you are going to put a new master link in you will need a cheap hand held chain compressor to get the locking clip back on....

It's not rocket science....

• MOmilkman

Posted July 29, 2001 - 12:32 PM

Originally posted by YamaCazi:

Do yourself a favor go out and purchase the cheapest Dremmel tool you can find and a box of grinding wheels. Grind the heads off the link you want to change and then pry the link apart with a flat tim screw driver.

Yea, yea, ....you COULD do all that. Or, you could simply push the pin through with the turn of a wrench on the chain breaker. :)

------------------
Darin in Missouri - 1999 WR400F
Enduro Heaven - Ozark Mountain TrailRiders

[This message has been edited by MOmilkman (edited 07-29-2001).]

• motoman393

Posted July 29, 2001 - 06:34 PM

I agree with YamaCazi! :)

------------------
I get my kicks on a 426!
Motoman393's MX Site

• John_H

Posted July 30, 2001 - 04:01 PM

I was reading on the 250 forum and it seems the chain on the 250's doesn't have a master link. Just one more thing you'd have to do, putting one on.

[This message has been edited by John H (edited 07-30-2001).]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.