HELP with my YZ400

5 replies to this topic
  • Motone82

Posted January 01, 2005 - 06:06 PM

I have a 1998 YZ 400 that I am having some issues with. It has a problem idling and a hiccup right off the bottom when you first start to open the throttle. I have been told it could be jetting, valves, accelerator pump, etc. I wanted to get some feedback. Please let me know what you guys think. It is driving me nuts. Also the idle adjust is all the way up and it will barely idle and usually just die. I ride it on the street and have to keep revving it at the light so it will stay running. It runs fine but idles high with the choke on. It has a new motor, and the only thing I know is that the main jet is a 175 and it has a DSP pipe on it. Thanks in advance.

• Butta

Posted January 01, 2005 - 06:08 PM

For jetting help we'll need to know what elevation you're at as well. I'm at sea level, and a 175 (I think) was what I had in it with the stock pipe (could have been a 172, though). How long has it been since you cleaned the carb??

• Motone82

Posted January 01, 2005 - 06:11 PM

Thanks Butta. I ride at sea level also. I cleaned the carb tonight. I have also tried running with the stock pipe and the problem is the same.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz007f

Posted January 01, 2005 - 09:12 PM

To me it sounds like your pilot jet is pluged. Your bike needs the idle circuit to run. When you keep reving it up at the light your not on the idle circuit anymore, there for it will run. It will idle high with the choke on that is like the same as opening your throttle to give the motor more air/fuel mix. With the choke on its just giving the motor more fuel to burn so it will idle higher. The 175 main jet has nothing to do with your idle at all. The main jet only effects 3/4 to full throttle. On most mx bikes you can get away with just changing the needle position unless your running it for along ways on WOT.

yz007f

• yzfxr

Posted January 01, 2005 - 10:22 PM

for your hicuup, check your accelerator pump chamber and actuator rod. they tend to get water under the boot and rust up and stop working.

• Motone82

Posted January 02, 2005 - 07:39 AM

Thanks guys. I will check out the pilot jet. The accellerator pump was completely rusted up. I appreciate all your help.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.