Everything wrong with used bike - help

28 replies to this topic
  • yz426onNOS

Posted January 01, 2005 - 07:29 PM

And joe can operate a screwdriver and follow instructions can do the water pump repair?

And last question, do most motorcycle shops weld, or will they opt for "let's just replace it"?

A custome motocycler will weld. Otherwise the local dealer will just opt for replacement.

The water pump repair is as easy if not easier then changeing oil.

• yz426onNOS

Posted January 01, 2005 - 07:35 PM

No, don't have the manual. Guess I need to get one.

Is there something online, or is it Clymer time?

Here is an online manual for an 01:

http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/

• simpledog

Posted January 01, 2005 - 08:05 PM

Yeah, I took a look at the bike. I don't have a lot of tools, and it's going to be too complex for me. I'll opt for replacement. I know the parts cost. outside of smacking my head, about how much time do you think a 'shop' will charge?

• yz426onNOS

Posted January 01, 2005 - 08:35 PM

All you need is a 8mm and 10mm socket with ratchet and 3inch ext. And a flat blade screw driver. Thats for the water pump. You might not even have to remove the motor for it to be welded.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigc

Posted January 01, 2005 - 08:36 PM

Yeah, I took a look at the bike. I don't have a lot of tools, and it's going to be too complex for me. I'll opt for replacement. I know the parts cost. outside of smacking my head, about how much time do you think a 'shop' will charge?

Geez,you better learn some mechanic skills and by some tools or your gonna be broke.Something always needs fixin.

• simpledog

Posted January 01, 2005 - 09:02 PM

I got a better solution. Just spoke to seller. His "Dad" did all the maintenance. He is young. I said "Look, most people would say 'hey, your problem'" But, #1, Dad doesn't know you're selling the bike based on a check (I gave him a check), #2, you can hide little things like maybe a lose spoke, or a broke off knobbie, but a ****ING CASE CRACK AND A LEAKING WATER PUMP?.

He's coming to get his bike Monday.

Assuming that he'll do that, give me my check, and you go find someone else. He works at a prefab shop for airplanes, and could get this fixed himself, but at this point, I'll just move on. If not, I'll take him to small claims court just to scare him.

I do appreciate the help. And, I do have some mechanical skills, such as brake pads, filters, etc. And I don't abuse my bikes. But I don't have a lot of tools, and I don't have a buddy with skills (people like yourself) to stand over my shoulders to say "make sure you don't forget to tighten screw #4 before you put the spring back on the watchamathingy, or else you'll.......

If I repost, it'll be because dude won't come pick up the bike, and I have to fix it. But I told him, if I take it to a dealer (yes, I know, I'm an idiot if I had to) to get all this fixed, that's 1000-1500 bucks, easy.

After this blows over, I've learned my lesson. Either A. Bring your buddy who knows what to look for or B. Buy new

• bushy

Posted January 02, 2005 - 09:03 AM

What the hell do you need the impeller shaft for? All you need is the stupid seal. Then weld the case. How hard is that. It won't even cost 10 bucks for the water pump. And they charge by the min for welding. I don't know what they charge for aluminum. But it probably won't be over 100 dollars all together.

Just for the record, my impeller shaft had grooves on it from where the seal rides, and could make the new seal leak faster.

Good to see you solved the problem simpledog :cry:

Before my bike I had no mechanical knowledge at all, and that was a short year ago. That can be taken either good or bad, but now im the guru for all the kids in town, and even some adults. :cry:

• Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted January 03, 2005 - 04:21 PM

Where do you live? I'll come over and help and you.

If you keep the bike send me a PM. I'm in Long Beach

• 03YZ450FRIDER

Posted January 04, 2005 - 09:52 AM

Ya dude i mean there are a bunch of people on here that are from cali that know a lot about bikes. Sh!t if your close to orange county ill go with ya and look at a bike and tell you whats wrong.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.