Is my battery already getting weak?

8 replies to this topic
  • Robert_Brazil

Posted January 01, 2005 - 07:13 AM

I own a 2004 WR450 and have about 70 rides on it. It seems that my battery is getting weak. With the kickstarter my bike starts well (1~2 kicks) but the e-start seems to turn well. After 3 ~4 e-start attempts my starter really is getting almost dead. When I ride for about 40 minutes and try again it will give energy for the first start but (if it fails) thereafter it is getting weak again. I never read post on this formum on people complaining about there battery life. Is my battery getting dead (already?) Yes or no, what should I do? :cry:

• ddialogue

Posted January 01, 2005 - 07:30 AM

I own a 2004 WR450 and have about 70 rides on it. It seems that my battery is getting weak. With the kickstarter my bike starts well (1~2 kicks) but the e-start seems to turn well. After 3 ~4 e-start attempts my starter really is getting almost dead. When I ride for about 40 minutes and try again it will give energy for the first start but (if it fails) thereafter it is getting weak again. I never read post on this formum on people complaining about there battery life. Is my battery getting dead (already?) Yes or no, what should I do? :cry:

I haven't read of any issues with the batteries in the 04's and 05's but with the 03's, there were definitely a lot of battery issues. A lot of guys wired up the connectors for a Batter Tender to their bikes and just plug them in when they're parked in the garage to keep the battery charge topped off. It might be something you need to do as well.

I saw an '05 that was Battery-Tender-wired already too...

Fortunately for me, I've never had a battery problem and I've never put mine on a charger and it's still going strong....I hope I'm not jinxing myself right now! :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 01, 2005 - 07:30 AM

If you have not kept your battery on a Battery Tender all this time then you may have worn out its ability to hold charge. You may also have vibration damage on the internal plates. I would go out and replace it and get a Battery Tender on the new one. Mine is still good after 2 years! Most batteries will last 3 to 4 years if you take care of them. :cry:

• Robert_Brazil

Posted January 01, 2005 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for the responses thusfar. Yeah I don´t have a tender unit and my bike sometimes sits still fore 3-weeks. Before considering an expensive change I am thinking to first buy that tender unit. Question: similar to older cell phone batts, do these batteries suffer from the memory effect? In other terms. If I empty and next charge the battery full a couple of times, can I restore (improve) the battery or not?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted January 01, 2005 - 09:18 AM

Yes they do. It is real important to keep a full charge when not riding. :cry:

• simon@vic

Posted January 01, 2005 - 01:59 PM

mine is doing the same thing now.

i believe it is the battery, but its not its fault :cry:. i think the charging system is not quit strong enough to top up the battery after the bike has been sitting or you get back from a long day of stalling/starting.

i have tried charging my batt up and i have also tried a spare {know new/good} batt and it was WAY better. but still wasn't like it was new. so i think there is a bit more of a problem then just the batt. i will have more info on mine soon. if the starter {and wires} check out OK, i will be looking into a new or upgraded stator. something that can charge the batt, run my lights better, and possibly a aux plug for a heated vest or trialtech/gps.

• matt_patton

Posted January 01, 2005 - 07:05 PM

there is no "memory effect" in Lead-based batteries. I never have to put a charger on my street bike unless I'm drawing it down with the 77W heated vest and 30W gloves during the winter. Then again it has a 300W alternator unlike the piddly-ass things they put on dirt bikes. It's not like some decent magnets are going to rob engine power worth a damn. Or like it would kill anybody to run 3 phase instead of 1. But I forget, the YZ/WR's aren't intended for practical use, they are toys or race bikes. Suzuki manges to make a eminantly livable machine out of the DRZ...

A Battery Tender is a very good thing. Especially if you don't ride it every couple of days. It's VERY cheap compared to buying batteries.

• Robert_Brazil

Posted January 02, 2005 - 02:33 PM

Does it help if I install some kind of switch to turn the lights off? When I say help I mean reload faster, or not?

• matt_patton

Posted January 02, 2005 - 04:38 PM

I'm going to mount a YTZ12S battery in my WR400. But I totally tossed the entire airbox too. It's a big battery but for winter duty I need the current draw to power the heated gear. 200W stators are like $400. I'm hoping that with the ~150 available on the modified magneto that I can get 60W for the heated gear and if the gear has to be cranked to max the battery will supplement as it can. No, the bike won't be able to charge the battery when the electrics going but that's what the Tender is for each night. And the fact that it's a kickstart means I don't care if the battery is flat.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.