Aftermarket Pipe opinions...which is the best?

45 replies to this topic
  • Wyatt

Posted January 03, 2005 - 12:52 PM

Beauty is in the eye of teh beholder......

Your smile will be beautiful the first time you crack the throttle open and see how much grunt your bike has. Your smile will also be big when you reach for your wallet and see how much money you didn't spend on an overpriced tail pipe.

• Jetsprint2

Posted January 03, 2005 - 01:04 PM

I really like my DR D slip on, on my 04 450. I like the stock titanium head pipe so the slip on was the one for me. I noticed a crisper response from bottom to mid and it sounds very strong. I would buy an aftermarket pipe just for the sound alone. Its one of those personal preference things. A friend of mine has a Thunder Alley on his 04 KTM 450, He likes it but it looks like a junior highschool welding project. Looks are a major factor for me. I can also eat that 04 KTM 450 for lunch! The guy with the KTM wishes he would have bought a yz 450f.

• Thumper38

Posted January 03, 2005 - 01:31 PM

How is the Pro-Circuit TI-4?

• Wayne_Thompson

Posted January 03, 2005 - 01:56 PM

Dr.D pipe works well for me.. 98-99db

I agree. This has been an awesome pipe for me. Huge difference on the bottom end. :cry:

• Ga426owner

Posted January 03, 2005 - 02:41 PM

I had the DRD on my 03 now I run a WB Aluminum Race Series - same pipe as CarbonPro but the can is Aluminum...It adds power everywhere and the fit/finish is top notch

• 226DAD

Posted January 03, 2005 - 03:46 PM

I really like my DR D slip on, on my 04 450. I like the stock titanium head pipe so the slip on was the one for me. I noticed a crisper response from bottom to mid and it sounds very strong. I would buy an aftermarket pipe just for the sound alone. Its one of those personal preference things. A friend of mine has a Thunder Alley on his 04 KTM 450, He likes it but it looks like a junior highschool welding project. Looks are a major factor for me. I can also eat that 04 KTM 450 for lunch! The guy with the KTM wishes he would have bought a yz 450f.

Having both the YZF and the SX and riding them back to back, the KTM is by far the faster bike.

• tricksta400

Posted January 03, 2005 - 06:06 PM

well you also have to take into account that the 05 yzf has been de-tuned a little bit to give it a more user friendly attitude. so im sure the katoom is faster, but still, the yami is the beast.

• 226DAD

Posted January 03, 2005 - 11:15 PM

The 05 was not de-tuned, it still has the same peak HP, just spread out more.

• felony

Posted January 04, 2005 - 06:37 AM

i have the wb e series with the titanium tapered head pipe.i installed them both at the same time so i dont know if its the pipe or header,either way i have MASSIVE low end to mid.most pipes just move power around and theres a trade off,no real hp gains but the tapered gytr headpipe is WOW,im impressed

• Jetsprint2

Posted January 04, 2005 - 07:26 AM

04' may have been a better year for the YZF except for the forks when compared to the 05'. My personal riding style is more suited for the punch of the YZ, I have not added any weight to the fly wheel ect. The SX was a good bike when I rode it and I had enough laps on it to really feel it out but the frieght train handeling and strong but slow power was not good enough for me. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • StPeters21

Posted January 07, 2005 - 08:29 PM

I have a pc t-4 system and love it. I got a yosh system and couldn't get it to run right, back fired alot. Also the yosh system revs way too fast(the bike is fast enough already). Kinda sucks to have an expensive exhaust system on a shelf in the garage.

Chad

• bluerider450

Posted January 08, 2005 - 08:31 AM

How is the Pro-Circuit TI-4?

i like it alot i havent had much time on it or able to jet it but with stock jetting here in the cold weather it didnt seem so bad my friends got a crf 450 with the fmf ti-4 and doesnt compare to the change that this pipe did on my bike but they are both different to bvut on the yz450 you think stock was crazy this will keep you hanging on even at top end now im looking for a head pipe because i herd the pc ti head pipe is really noticable to but if you guys get the hsot or a good deal on the PC TI-4 i wouldent turn it down its awsome:thumbsup:
and if your looking for a yz450f pipe and it will work from an 03 i know where you can get a ceramic coated with sparky TA slip on for 200

• etownyzf

Posted January 08, 2005 - 10:47 AM

being that i finally can walk again-now its time to fx my bike its an 04 450 - i really smashed the head pipe but the muffler really just needs to be cut down a little and a new endcap installed (im thinking pro moto billet)but i have been looking into a new complete exhaust- those thunder alley pipes do look strange but are they a quality system-do they have silencer packing or no?with the pmb endcap and a new head pipe im looking at like 250-but for 100 bucks more would the thunder alley be the way to go? anybody have any exhausts for sale stock or otherwise????

• Thumper38

Posted January 10, 2005 - 04:10 AM

Go to E-Bay there are lots of pipes for sale!

• Ga426owner

Posted January 10, 2005 - 06:08 AM

I have a pc t-4 system and love it. I got a yosh system and couldn't get it to run right, back fired alot. Also the yosh system revs way too fast(the bike is fast enough already). Kinda sucks to have an expensive exhaust system on a shelf in the garage.

Chad

Chad sell it on ebay or here on TT

• standarche

Posted February 17, 2005 - 04:57 AM

motofrugals.com has full yosh and Dr.d systems for under $400 check it out

• Turf_Runner

Posted February 17, 2005 - 10:24 AM

www.thunder-alley.com

They sounds much better than anything out there. Your bike will sound liek a works bike.

• cowboyona426

Posted February 17, 2005 - 10:43 AM

Go for the Thunder Alley, and get it ceramic coated. They are much purdier when ceramic coated, and you won't be disappointed! The only drawback to the TA is since they are handmade they can take a month or more to get to you... well worth the wait though! I won't run anything else.

The correct link for Thunder Alley is www.thunder-alley.net

• MichiganMXer

Posted February 17, 2005 - 12:23 PM

Jardine has historically provided the most hp gain than the others. That doesnt necessarily mean faster, it may mean more arm pump.

Here's a nice article. Its a 2003 but its still a good review.

http://dirtrider.com...h/141_0303_pip/

• ChasYZF

Posted February 17, 2005 - 01:24 PM

You may want to consider the White Bros. Carbon Pro. Top of the line exhaust with huge power gains across the band. Over 4lbs. of weight saving vs. stock exhaust. If you can afford it, go for the Carbon Pro. You won't be disappointed.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On Yesterday, 06:20 PM
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.