If you haven't rejetted your '05...

6 replies to this topic
  • Flip01

Posted December 31, 2004 - 05:27 PM

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU WAITING FOR?! Do it, do it, do it.... DO IT NOW!

Just got my JD kit in the mail today and just had to get it installed. I put in the blue needle on clip #4 and the 170 main per the directions. Installation was a snap since I had already pulled out the carb in order to install the ZipTy fuel screw. So, so far I've got a WB E2 exhaust, Zip fuel screw (1 3/4 out), and the JD kit.

All I can say is DAMN! :cry: :cry: After getting it all put back together she started right up. The idle was a tit hair lower, which is fine and the throttle response was WAAAY snappier. You still can't snap it off idle like a two stroke, but I think thats an accelerator pump issue right? I took it around the block and almost crapped myself. It pulled HARD and sounded great. The decel backfire was almost non-existent. In fact, I may just leave the AIS alone.

Now, you may just be able to get by by buying a YZ needle and a 170 main and using a flat head to turn out your fuel screw. But, for $20 the fuel screw was no big deal to me and I've heard from the folks here on TT that the JD triple taper needles are well worth the cash. By eye balling the Yami needle and the JD needle, I couldn't tell the difference other than the extra clip positions on the JD. But you guys say there is a difference, I believe you.

Anyways, for you '05ers. Don't wait! It should be the first thing you do! You won't regret it. :cry:

• dustdogg

Posted December 31, 2004 - 07:54 PM

I agree 100% After installing a YZ pipe on my WR426 I found the jetting to be way off, so I ordered th JD kit along with the Zip Ty fuel screw and what a difference. It was like a new bike. I followed JD's instructions and the installation was very easy to do. At first a was scepticle, but all a can say is that this is one of the best modifications that I have made. Throttle response is very crisp and it has nasty midrange hit that makes it a blast to ride!!! Just thought I would add my experience, because this is a great mod for any year WR/YZ!!!!!!!

• rickmiester

Posted December 31, 2004 - 09:57 PM

have an 04 wr450 and did the kit and screw , ran alot better and uncorked the stock pipe ran alot better still and then had to silence it down bought a wb e2 for 435.00 and found that the pipe with the 96 db silencer ran better than my stock pipe uncorked i was very happy the bike runs very good now and this comes from a guy that used to ride a 2001 cr500 and still owns it but the 450 is the bike of choice.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted January 01, 2005 - 06:49 AM

You still can't snap it off idle like a two stroke, but I think thats an accelerator pump issue right? I took it around the block and almost crapped myself. It pulled HARD and sounded great. The decel backfire was almost non-existent. In fact, I may just leave the AIS alone.

You should finish your jetting by putting in a 40 leak jet and a 48 pilot and Zip Ty adjustable fuel screw. Your bike when jetted right will wheelie from idling in first gear to snapping the throttle if you have it jetted right. Otherwise you get a lean bog when snapping the throttle open from idle at low rpms. :cry: Oh and I would get the Lowedog AIS plumbing removal kit if you want it to run as fast as she can. :cry:

• onelugnut

Posted January 01, 2005 - 07:33 AM

Oh and I would get the Lowedog AIS plumbing removal kit if you want it to run as fast as she can. :cry:

How do I get one of this kits :cry:

• Flip01

Posted January 01, 2005 - 08:18 AM

You should finish your jetting by putting in a 40 leak jet and a 48 pilot and Zip Ty adjustable fuel screw.

Thanks for the tip Indy, since jets are cheap I might as well change those too. We're riding anywhere between 0-4000 feet at temps in the 70's. Do the 40LJ and 48 pilot still apply?

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 01, 2005 - 09:16 AM

Yes you can even go to a 50 pilot in the colder 30 - 40 degree weather. 45 pilot is good for temps above 80 degrees. I recommend the JD Red needle at clip #5 and a 165 main, 48 pilot and 40 leak jet for your altitude and temps described. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.