loud pipes

26 replies to this topic
  • allan68

Posted December 31, 2004 - 03:38 PM

Anyone know how loud the XR's only Supertrapp exhaust is?
I've never owned one, but I know it depends on number of discs installed.
Looking to get down to 94 dcb.
Currently have a Yoshi titanium pipe, and its a little loud.

Al

• don87xr600

Posted December 31, 2004 - 05:25 PM

The la 2 Barstow 2 Vegas entry form states supertrapp muffler won't pass the 96 decibel requirement for California off-road.

• 1biglung

Posted December 31, 2004 - 05:43 PM

Don,

What about the older 4" round XR's only that use the Supertrapp design but is not an actual supertrapp? I have this pipe and it doesn't sound like it would be that loud. I know sounds are deceiving. I am in So Cal. Do you know anywhere to get it tested ? I would like to know what I am actually blowing.

Thanks

• roadcam

Posted December 31, 2004 - 08:56 PM

I just put the Supertrapp IDS2 pipe on mine,( quiet version ), and it doesnt seem offensive, or all that loud...I'm running 9 discs... havent ridden it yet, but have started it up in the garage since installing it ..

• HeadTrauma

Posted December 31, 2004 - 10:33 PM

I also have a Yoshimura Ti pipe (and stainless header) and agree that its a bit loud, but it does sound good :cry:. For quieter pipes, alot of people seem to like the FMF Q or whatever it is. Might be worth a look.

• Misfit

Posted January 01, 2005 - 09:01 AM

I have the white bros on mine and its very loud but sounds pretty cool too. People can hear me comin down the trails. :cry:

• ogden1488

Posted January 01, 2005 - 09:03 AM

my 05 xr 650 l is getting the fmf q pipes now ill get it back in a week ill let you know how she sounds and runs... i personally wanted the loudest i could find but blaa catalogs list street legal for her...

• roadcam

Posted January 01, 2005 - 09:12 AM

you guys that love those LOUD pipes are just closing riding areas for all of us ... I know its hard to believe, but everybody doesnt share your fondness of LOUD noise ... you wont lose much power by dropping it to 96db or quieter ... I'm almost deaf in my right ear from years of shooting without ear protection, but even I get worn out listening to a LOUD bike :cry:

• StevePSD

Posted January 01, 2005 - 10:06 AM

Regarding the Barstow to Vegas noise requirement.....

I noticed that the CA noise requirement is different depending on if your OHV is considered a 'competition' vehicle or not, and when it was made. It's listed
here.

A competition OHV must meet the 96dbA level only if it was made after Jan 1, 1998. It's 101dbA if made before.

A 'regular' OHV must meet the 96dbA level if made after Jan 1, 1986. It's the same 101dbA if made before.

My question is are our XR600/650's 'competition' vehicles or not? If so, and your bike was make before the cutoff date (101dbA), can you participate if your bike is louder than the more restrictive 96dbA level?

• don87xr600

Posted January 01, 2005 - 10:19 AM

You should carry a copy of that and whip it out while the ranger is writing your ticket. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kev_XR

Posted January 01, 2005 - 10:53 AM

I have the white bros on mine and its very loud but sounds pretty cool too. People can hear me comin down the trails. :cry:

And so can all of the hikers for miles around. :cry:

So if you think being loud makes you safer, wait until you have a head on with another rider with a loud pipe.

We blew off the 101db sound limit, now we have 96db in a growin number of areas. Keep pushing it and we'll get stuck with pipes that make our bikes sound like Vespas. Or be told that only stock pipes are legal.

Competition bike? I didn't seen any difference in the CA sound compliance that you posted. Declare your bike to be a competition bike and Mr Ranger will probably tell you to get back to the MX track or only ride the bike during a closed-course event.

• StevePSD

Posted January 01, 2005 - 11:10 AM

According to the California OHV website, OHV vehicles must meet the following noise levels:

Competiton bikes must meet the 96dbA sound level on Jan 1, 1998.

Non-competition bikes must meet the 96dbA sound level on Jan 1, 1986.

Noise compliance levels are the same, just seperated by 12 years as to when you must meet these levels.

The only thing that I can find on the CA OHV site is that a 'competition' OHV vehicle was not designed to comply with EPA noise or California emissions standards. My '87 XR600 just has a sticker that says 'Off-Highway-Use Only' next to the VIN. Do MX bikes have a 'competition use only' sticker or...? Can a 'competition' OHV be ridden on anything other than a closed course?

• StevePSD

Posted January 01, 2005 - 11:15 AM

Don,

If you look at the OHV site that I posted, you can call or send in for one of the 'Noise Cards' to be mailed to you so you can carry it with you, or even print it out. My only question is what constitutes a 'Competition OHV'?

• Kritter

Posted January 01, 2005 - 01:58 PM

the xrs only pipe with the standard end which is just a cap...not the noise lowering supertrap type cap blows 110db

• don87xr600

Posted January 01, 2005 - 02:44 PM

Don,

If you look at the OHV site that I posted, you can call or send in for one of the 'Noise Cards' to be mailed to you so you can carry it with you, or even print it out. My only question is what constitutes a 'Competition OHV'?

My point is the ranger doesn't care.

• StevePSD

Posted January 01, 2005 - 02:57 PM

Then all the more reason to know what exactly is a 'competition OHV'.

The ranger can write all he wants, but the court decides, based upon the law if the ticket is legit or not. The lattest admendment to the California OHV rules were amended by AB 2274 , signed into law on 15 Sep 2002 (thank you EX-gov Davis)

So my original question remains: What is a 'competition OHV'? I'll check with the DMV and the Ridgecrest BLM field office on Monday.

• 1biglung

Posted January 01, 2005 - 03:12 PM

the xrs only pipe with the standard end which is just a cap...not the noise lowering supertrap type cap blows 110db

Kritter, 110db on a 94XR650L :cry: Do you know where I can get it tested?

I pulled it apart and repacked it with 2 layers fiberglass mat around the core, Ceramic type Hi temp wool the 2 more layers of fiberglass mat with 8 disks and it quieted down pretty good. I did not purchase originally. it was on the bike when I bought it.

It does appear to have a perforated center tube that looks like an e-series quiet core.

I would like to get it tested and know exactly what I am blowing.

Here's a couple of pics of the pipe in question. These were taken while I replaced the rear fender and turn signals on Thurs. The first one is before the fender change

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Thanks

• Kritter

Posted January 01, 2005 - 03:50 PM

youve got the noise supressing end cap...not sure what it will be.

A buddy of mine stopped by my camp yesterday with the regular XR's set up and said it is 110db...I have the same set up and knew it was kinda loud...but not that LOUD.

• 1biglung

Posted January 01, 2005 - 03:58 PM

Thanks Kritter, I wasn't sure.

Do you know where I can get it tested ?

• Kritter

Posted January 01, 2005 - 04:18 PM

head out to just about any d37 desert race or GP and they have the equipment to test you...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.