Question about my Clutch Basket?

4 replies to this topic
  • Speedin' Ian

Posted December 31, 2004 - 12:46 PM

Recently I rebuilt the trans in my 00 426 and as I tore it down I noticed it has an aftermarket clutch basket (vortex). As I removed the clutch basket I see that it has some springs in the base. My question is what are they there for? I have torn apart smaller two stroke motors and I never noticed springs in any of the other clutch baskets. Also when I lug the motor down I hear quite a bit of chatter which I am assuming is the chain, but the chain seems tight enough. Can anything else cause that noise, or is it normal?

• John_Lorenz

Posted December 31, 2004 - 01:06 PM

The springs are there to help absorb the tremendous power hit from the motor, they are a buffer per say all engineered to keep the clutch from exploding.

Now to the chatter

the 2000 had a bad issue with this the fix is a 2001 clutch mod all about 100 bucks in parts and it will eliminate the chatter and make the clutch perfect.

Here is all you need

Thanks Cowboyona426
Here are the needed parts:
5JG-16321-00-00 PLATE, FRICTION
5JG-16383-00-00 SPRING, CLUTCH BOSS
5JG-16384-00-00 PLATE, SEAT
93511-32027-00 BEARING, BALL (PUSH ROD ASSY.)
5JG-16356-00-00 ROD, PUSH 1
5JG-16357-10-00 ROD, PUSH 2
5JG-15453-00-00 GASKET, CLUTCH COVER
Note: You only need the clutch cover gasket if you tear yours removing the cover. If you don't tear the gasket, you don't need to replace it.

Here's the steps:

1. Drain the oil from the engine and the frame.
2. Pull the clutch cover- removing the rear brake will make it easier to get all the clutch cover bolts out. Because all the bolts are different lengths, leave them in the holes in the cover when you pull the cover. Pull the cover off evenly and you shouldn't have any problems with tearing the gasket, so you can reuse it.
3. Remove the pressure plate. The short pushrod will probably stick to the pressure plate, FYI.
4. Pull out all the clutch plates. Remember to keep them in order! I used two picks to help me get all the plates out.
5. Pull the long pushrod from the center of the shaft the clutch hub is mounted on.
6. Pour some clean oil in the clutch cover, and soak the new plate in the oil for 5-10 minutes.
7. Install the flat base plate.
8. Install the spring plate- make sure the side marked "OUT" faces toward the outside of the engine.
9. Install the new clutch plate.
10. Install all the old plates, taking out the innermost plate. I dipped each plate in the oil before installing them to help use some of it up.
11. Install the new long pushrod in the tranny shaft- make sure the end with the tapered end goes to the inside of the motor.
12. Install the short pushrod with the ball bearing inside.
13. Install the pressure plate.
14. Install the clutch cover- make sure you dump the oil out first!

That's it! It is a really simple mod. Some people have been installing the 01 clutch arm too- I didn't. If you do, it is supposed to move the engagement point of the clutch farther from the bars. Also, you will have to readjust the freeplay in the lever, because installing the 01 parts creates a lot of slack in the cable.
I'm not sure how much all the parts cost, because I managed to score them all for free from moto2000- thank you moto2000! I don't have the number for the 01 clutch arm, but your dealer should be able to find it easy enough. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Speedin' Ian

Posted December 31, 2004 - 04:49 PM

Thank you very much for the detailed response

• John_Lorenz

Posted December 31, 2004 - 06:16 PM

Thank you very much for the detailed response

Now worries
Also you may find this site very helpfull for some more mods for your 2000
http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com

Motoman has a tech articles thee with some info on the chain guide that was also bad on the 2000.
Check it out

• grayracer513

Posted January 01, 2005 - 01:46 AM

If you're talking about a loud noise from the rear engine area while lugging the bike with the clutch out, that's not clutch chatter, it's the chain like you originally thought. In a two stroke, the engine fires on one stroke, then an upstroke, then fires again. In a four-stroke the enigne fires, followed by not one but 3 non-firing strokes, so the gap in between power strokes is much larger. The chain has ample time at low rpm to catch a lot of slack that then gets yanked back out by the next power stroke. If that sounds more like your condition, it's normal.

Clutch chatter is more a jerky, unsmooth engagement than a noise condition, but the mods JL suggests will improve your clutch. :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.