Oil + Filter change... Specific Questions

32 replies to this topic
  • dangermouse007

Posted January 02, 2005 - 06:31 AM

I agree, but the filter I just took out looked like it had been there since 2003 when the bike came off the production line.....Hence the Question.....

• simon@vic

Posted January 02, 2005 - 10:17 AM

yes i agree. you looking into it too much. just change the oil with good oil and your done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

colour will be different depending one what oil you use, how often you change it, the Temp you ride in, and a few other things.

i use motul witch is a very dark oil to begin with. so it comes out black every time i change it every other ride {once a week}.

• RADRick

Posted January 03, 2005 - 09:23 PM

I agree, but the filter I just took out looked like it had been there since 2003 when the bike came off the production line.....Hence the Question.....

FYI: The 450 uses a dry sump oil system. That means very little oil remains in the crankcase. The advantages are that there is less drag on the crankshaft from the oil, no windage tray needed, less heat transfer from the hot engine case and less chance for sludge formation. It is always best to change oil when hot as it will be thinner and flow more readily.

RADRick
www.mcjournalist.com

• chiefsfan.58

Posted January 04, 2005 - 02:33 AM

Hey guys, just wanna say that getting the oil warm before you drain it should always be done. Not just to thin the oil and get more out. when the oil gets hot it suspends the contaminants in the oil and allows them to come out with the oil. I am by no means an engineer but did learn that in a basic automotive tech class I took. I also hope I worded it correctly :cry: (I hate getting slapped down with a correction for all to see).......
peace

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted November 10, 2005 - 10:13 PM

Quick question. Trying to change the filter on my new (not really new) 00 WR 400. What is the size of the hex bolt on the gear shifter side of the header? 6mm? It is filled with a little crud and I can not get my 3/8 6mm socket all the way in. Does a long 6mm hex work better? Thanks for any help.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted November 11, 2005 - 05:19 AM

I know some one in the know might have this infor. Thanks for any help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bamster

Posted November 11, 2005 - 05:30 AM

Quick question. Trying to change the filter on my new (not really new) 00 WR 400. What is the size of the hex bolt on the gear shifter side of the header? 6mm? It is filled with a little crud and I can not get my 3/8 6mm socket all the way in. Does a long 6mm hex work better? Thanks for any help

Yes it is a 6 mm Allem head and use long 6mm Allen socket if you have one.
I have an FMF header (with the stock can) so oil changes were no problem and the header has not been off for a while.
I recently dented the header and wanted to fix it. Steel allen bolt in aluminum
for a long time gets siezed. Had to weld a bolt to it to get it out.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted November 11, 2005 - 04:27 PM

Anyone one that still has do this better get some anit-seeze. It think I will cut off a regular 6mm hex and place the longer part in my 6mm socket to make the job as easy as possible.

Thanks for the infor. Bamster!!!

• Bamster

Posted November 11, 2005 - 05:57 PM

I ran a tap in and out a few times and brushed some anit-seize on the new bolt before reattaching.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted November 19, 2005 - 01:12 AM

I know this sounds dumb but I've only done one oil change on my 04 WR450. I did the full oil change tonight and not sure where to put in the oil. I forgot. The manual says nothing about that. I assume down on the magneto cover where the black oil cap is? Also do you add the whole 1.2 quarts of oil in that hole at once. Not sure how all that is supposed to work?

• Bamster

Posted November 19, 2005 - 06:31 AM

It dosn't go in the frame on the newer models?

• Stinez

Posted November 19, 2005 - 09:52 AM

I know this sounds dumb but I've only done one oil change on my 04 WR450. I did the full oil change tonight and not sure where to put in the oil. I forgot. The manual says nothing about that. I assume down on the magneto cover where the black oil cap is? Also do you add the whole 1.2 quarts of oil in that hole at once. Not sure how all that is supposed to work?

Yes you put it in the magneto cover hole that you're looking at. :applause:

• Krisden

Posted November 19, 2005 - 02:47 PM

wow 1 change for an 04 mod how long u had it and how many miles on it ?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.