Oil + Filter change... Specific Questions

32 replies to this topic
  • dangermouse007

Posted December 31, 2004 - 10:14 AM

Help.....

Looking at the Manual I cannot believe you have to remove 5 things to drain the oil and replace filter?????????????

Manuals says:-

Drain bolt (with gasket) Frame
 Oil filter drain bolt (O-ring)
 Drain bolt (with gasket) back of engine by chain
 Drain bolt (with gasket) back of engine by chain
 Oil strainer (frame) In the pipe by Frame Bolt

It also says you have to remove the Exhaust to change the Filter, I can;t see why am I missing something ???

Then on another Thread it stated:-

Remove down tube plug and drain oil
Remove Engine case oil drain Plug ( I guess Big bolt back of engine buy Chain ??)

Question where will most of the Oil come from, and Frame or Engine Case... will be changing the filter for a CRT Performance Washable filter, any Recomendation for Cleaning these, anybody using them...( anodized Blue, like you will see it ????)

So come oh Guy's make me look stupid, you know you want to......!!!!!!!!

• endurodog

Posted December 31, 2004 - 10:30 AM

On the older WR's and YZ's you had to loosen the head pipe to get to the oil filter. On the 03 WR you don't have too.

Never have measure where the most oil comes from on an oil change but it seems to come from the frame to me.

• ddialogue

Posted December 31, 2004 - 10:50 AM

On my 03 WR450, I get almost NO oil out of the drain bolt below the shifter so I only drain the frame and the crankcase (the main bolt underneath.)

I've only checked the oil strainer a couple of times and there's been nothing in it. It's more of a pain in the butt than it's worth anyway. :cry:

• endurodog

Posted December 31, 2004 - 12:17 PM

I hate to take this off topic but Dave your aviator is a riot, haaaaaaaaaaa.

• skeener2

Posted December 31, 2004 - 12:44 PM

Older YZ & WR's you needed to loosen the exhaust. It went right over one of the bolts. (Hence the reason I haven't changed the filter that often....plus it's cover also covered the water pump. Meant water & oil.....ugh!)

The 05 you can reach all of the bolts around the exhaust. Niiiice. Now I just have to get a filter. It's been ridden twice!!! Third time is a race on sunday. Damn it's nice to ride with better suspension.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 31, 2004 - 02:05 PM

On my 03 WR450, I get almost NO oil out of the drain bolt below the shifter so I only drain the frame and the crankcase (the main bolt underneath.)

I've only checked the oil strainer a couple of times and there's been nothing in it. It's more of a pain in the butt than it's worth anyway. :cry:

Dave is right on the money! Keep it simple and your bike will be just fine. :cry:

• simon@vic

Posted December 31, 2004 - 02:25 PM

drain frame and motor. add 1.1L oil. done :cry: . if the 03 came with a paper filter, replace it with a SS oil filter from a wr426. dran and clean every other oil change

• mtrablue

Posted December 31, 2004 - 03:44 PM

a word of warning. when you take the plug out of the frame, the oil will come straight out. you'll soak your tire and the garage floor if your not careful.

• mjslim

Posted December 31, 2004 - 04:19 PM

you can also get away with reusing your copper sealing washers, contrary to what the manual says.

• L8TBRKR

Posted December 31, 2004 - 04:42 PM

drain frame and motor. add 1.1L oil. done :cry: . if the 03 came with a paper filter, replace it with a SS oil filter from a wr426. dran and clean every other oil change

The WR426 comes stock with a SS oil filter? Or are you talking after market and if so why a WR426 when you can get one for a 450?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simon@vic

Posted December 31, 2004 - 04:47 PM

426 cam stock with a SS re-usable oil filter. i think it is $1 less then the disposable paper on they want you to use for the 03-04 :cry:

• matt_patton

Posted December 31, 2004 - 08:35 PM

all I gotta say is &%$#@! was Yam thinking! when they designed the '00 and older ones? I did my first oil change yesturday and what a friggin' pain in the ass! I didn't bother with the frame tank strainer, I'd had enough by that time. Yes the header has to be loosened enough to wobble it out of the way so the seriously long screw can come out. NUTS!

• dangermouse007

Posted January 01, 2005 - 04:03 AM

Thanks Guys

• ddialogue

Posted January 01, 2005 - 06:51 AM

426 cam stock with a SS re-usable oil filter. i think it is $1 less then the disposable paper on they want you to use for the 03-04 :cry:

There were actually brass (not SS) but your comment is still valid. They are reusable and will work on the 450's. I went with the Scott's SS filter in mine, though. :cry:

• simon@vic

Posted January 01, 2005 - 10:53 AM

i didn't take a too close of a look at it. all i did was check to see if the spring for the blow by was the same tension.

if its brass, what is it coated with?

• dangermouse007

Posted January 01, 2005 - 11:42 AM

Ok.... so when the Engine is Cold, where does the Oil go....I guess in the crack case .........as I have just undone the Frame Drain plug and there is nothing there, so I take it it all sits in the Crank case then, so Surly it must be easier to change the oil from cold (yes I know it takes longer to come out, but you will surely get more out with less work ??????????????????

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 01, 2005 - 12:30 PM

Always better to drain old oil hot! You will actually get more of the oil out. Cold oil hangs around the engine parts in a thicker layer. :cry:

• simon@vic

Posted January 01, 2005 - 01:15 PM

Always better to drain old oil hot! You will actually get more of the oil out. Cold oil hangs around the engine parts in a thicker layer. :cry:

i will 2nd that. when i change my oil, more then 1/2 comes from the frame.

you will prob get about 100ml more out if you change it hot.

• dangermouse007

Posted January 02, 2005 - 05:12 AM

Ok boys and Girls... Question just so I can get an idea of the maintennace on the bike????? what colour would you expect the filter to come out if regular oil changes had been done.....

Reason I ask is a Know what Colour my Road bike Filter is, as I change the oil and filter every 1500 miles....and I am Amazed at the state if of this WR Filter, so before I say you Lying F*cker, just wanted to know what it should look like.... Although the Oil looks ok.....

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 02, 2005 - 05:58 AM

There is nothing to look for? :cry: Just chaonge the oil when it is hot from the frame and main bottom plug. Buy a magnetic bottom plug from Zip Ty Racing and clean your SS or Brass filter in Kerosene and compressed air blow off or if it is paper replace it. Reload drain plugs and then add new oil in the crank and start it up and run it for 10 seconds. Check your oil level and you are done! :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.