650R starting issues..

5 replies to this topic
  • SParki

Posted December 31, 2004 - 02:52 AM

I was riding along yesterday on road when suddenly all dies... no warning, no spluttering, no engine noise... nothing.

No work was done prior to this happening, no plug change, adjustments or anything similar. It started fine every morning and goes as expected.... b&^%$4y quick through traffic :cry:

so after checking for fuel in the carb (of which there is plenty), spark at the plug (which appears plentiful too.. plus a spare plug which is a known good was tested), and loose connections I'm at a bit of a loss of where to start looking for the problem.

If this were a 2Smoke it wouldn't be a problem but I'm new to this baby and haven't owned it for a particularly long period... overall condition is excellant but obviously problems can happen at any time. I would appreciate any assistance or pointers in the right direction :cry:

Thanks all and have a great New Year :cry:

• loufish

Posted December 31, 2004 - 08:52 AM

I'll spray WD40, or starting fluid in the air cleaner, if it starts for a second or two, then I know it's a fuel problem, if it dosen't then I look for electrical issues. Make sure the connector from the stator hasn't come undone, check for voltage to the coil also.

• pb1963

Posted December 31, 2004 - 02:53 PM

I had a similar problen with my brp. Riding along with no warning and it just died. After checking spark, fuel you name it I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I took the top of the carb off and the little spring that holds the keeper pin in for the slide had come off and the slide fell to the bottom of the carb. You might check it. Good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Oddiemx

Posted January 02, 2005 - 05:11 AM

Try unscrewing the plug cap and check the spark to the head area. This will be easier if you remove the spark plug first and the spark must be at less 6mm or 1/4" of good blue spark. If the spark is an orange color you will have a spark problem and will need to test the components till the problem is found.

• sonorawfo

Posted January 03, 2005 - 10:23 AM

Although pretty rare??, stator & CDI failures can happen. I've seen a few on late model XR,s, (more than I'd like to see!!). I'd look there first. :cry:

• SParki

Posted January 04, 2005 - 12:16 AM

I had a similar problen with my brp. Riding along with no warning and it just died. After checking spark, fuel you name it I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I took the top of the carb off and the little spring that holds the keeper pin in for the slide had come off and the slide fell to the bottom of the carb. You might check it. Good luck

well this is what happened! - thanks for all the pointers and advise guys, much appreciated. the linkage on the slider/throttle twisty bit (technical term?) is really badly worn it appears.. the round hole is very oval shaped and is about to break - is there a reason for this linkage being brass and not stainless steel (I presume it is so the linkage wears but not the parts it's attached to but see absolutely no reason for this).... could I not make a linkage out of a piece of stainless steel and drill a couple of holes in it then re-attach the spring?

I need to give Honda a call I guess... anyone know what is contained within a service kit (I presume one exists?) for the stock carb?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.