Good Pro Tapers for tall rider?

18 replies to this topic
  • HeadTrauma

Posted December 30, 2004 - 10:55 PM

This seems to be a perpetual problem of mine; I always have straight arms and a bent back/knees because I'm so tall( 6'4" to be exact). On my '92 CR250 it was really a nuisance and while my current 600 isnt as bad, I think I could use a taller bar. I would like to stay with Pro Tapers, but will consider others. Does anyone in my height range(or knowledge of it) have a suggestion or recommendation?

• rokklym

Posted December 31, 2004 - 07:52 AM

Tag makes the T2 kit which comes with oversized bars, the mounts and a bar pad for $129.99. They are available in the CR double Hi bend which is 8/10" taller that the CR Hi's, plus the mounts add 3/4" of rise to the bars too. So thats a pretty good height increase for not alot of $$

• don87xr600

Posted December 31, 2004 - 07:52 AM

Take a look at the Maguras as they are generally taller. I've tried the CR high, the YZ high in the protapers, and have a set of Magura MX2 on the way. I'm 6'4" also.

• mjlang

Posted December 31, 2004 - 09:26 AM

You can go with CR High bars with a GPR Type II damper (under bar design) and this will lift your bars significantly.
If you look in the catalogs, the bars measurements are shown in sweep back from center and rise above center. Compare the different manufactures until you find the one you want. Tag Metals makes a bar and I don't remember the bend, that by the sweep and rise numbers was the highest/straighest bar I could find.

• SMOKE

Posted December 31, 2004 - 03:12 PM

You can go with CR High bars with a GPR Type II damper (under bar design) and this will lift your bars significantly.

that is what i have on my 650r and love it i am 6'5" and it is still kind of short but a hell of alot better. plus the stabilizer has saved my ass a couple of times well worth the 500 bucks imho

mike

• jws

Posted December 31, 2004 - 07:21 PM

that is what i have on my 650r and love it i am 6'5" and it is still kind of short but a hell of alot better. plus the stabilizer has saved my ass a couple of times well worth the 500 bucks imho

mike

i am 6' 4" and i have this set up also

pic 1

pic 2

or - you can go with the thumper racing bar risers and the renthal jimmy buttons

pic 3

pic 4

jeff :cry:

• HeadTrauma

Posted December 31, 2004 - 10:07 PM

Thanks eveyone. I wish I knew what ProTapers I have because those bar risers look like the hot ticket for me. Granted I dont spend alot of time on my feet, I'd like it to be comfortable when I do.

• don87xr600

Posted January 01, 2005 - 12:33 AM

the model name of your protapers is under the right grip.

• rokklym

Posted January 01, 2005 - 09:28 AM

Those Thumper racing risers look nice. Do you have a link to them or a part #.
I looked on their website but didn't see anything.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jws

Posted January 01, 2005 - 11:06 AM

i picked them up from www.bajadesigns.com :cry:

jeff :cry:

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 01, 2005 - 03:25 PM

The tallest Tapers are KX high.

• 1biglung

Posted January 01, 2005 - 03:40 PM

I went with the Tusk 7/8" to 1 1/8" adapters and Longhorn CR Hi bend bars. It is much better. Here are some before and after pics.

Before 1

Before 2

After 1

After 2

Now I am waiting for the big bar adapters for the Bark Busters.

Hope it helps

• don87xr600

Posted January 01, 2005 - 06:08 PM

The tallest Tapers are KX high.

the pastrana freestyles are a half inch taller than the KX high bend

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 01, 2005 - 07:17 PM

Well, I'm not going to waste a $10 set of grips just find out what bend I have.

I went with the Tusk 7/8" to 1 1/8" adapters and Longhorn CR Hi bend bars. It is much better. Here are some before and after pics.

Before 1

Before 2

After 1

After 2

Now I am waiting for the big bar adapters for the Bark Busters.

Hope it helps

Those pictures help. My Tapers look similar in bend/height to your "before" bars.

I looked at my triple clamp and bar mounts and didnt realize that it woud be so easy to make new riser bottom halves. I work in a machine shop, so it wouldnt be hard.

• don87xr600

Posted January 01, 2005 - 08:28 PM

can you make 2 sets :cry:

• 1biglung

Posted January 01, 2005 - 08:33 PM

I can take closer pics if you want and take some measurements.

I thought about the same thing but for $35.00 for the adapters and $39.00 for the bars I chose the easy route. :cry:

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 02, 2005 - 01:09 AM

I can take closer pics if you want and take some measurements.

I thought about the same thing but for $35.00 for the adapters and $39.00 for the bars I chose the easy route. :cry:

Thats the other thing; most of the time it costs less for me to buy what I want than it does to build it. An example is when I built a pile of small increment jets for my carb before I knew my jetting problem was largely a bad coil connection. :cry: On the other hand, Kehin jets arent the most accurately made things in the world. Mine get incrementally larger by .0005", while Kehins can vary .001" between two of the same sized jets. It only cost me about $10 to make each jet and would cost $5 to buy them.

The only exception is if something doesnt exist. Thanks for the measurement offer, but I have the parts I would duplicate on my bike and its always easier having one to look at/compare to in my hand.

• Outrider

Posted January 02, 2005 - 06:44 PM

Nice baja kit, I just installed mine and I have the exact same mirror too. :cry:

• 1biglung

Posted January 02, 2005 - 07:07 PM

Thanks,

Not a Baja kit it's a CR250/500 rear fender, BD tail light and WB flushmount turn signals.

Fender was a pain but looks good and slims the 650L's a$$

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.