05 wr450 big tank

15 replies to this topic
  • bronco tim

Posted December 30, 2004 - 12:25 PM

Has anyone put an 04 IMS,Clarke or Acerbis tank on their 05 ? I have already removed the smog pump so thats not an issue.Which one holds the fuel the lowest(For center of gravity)?And how does the seat fit?Pictures would be great.
Thanks

• dangermouse007

Posted December 31, 2004 - 08:55 AM

I would be interested on what Tanks peeps are using on there WR's and stock 2.8 Gal tank on my 03 does worry me... and would like more fuel ....

• bronco tim

Posted January 03, 2005 - 08:24 PM

Anyone?

• 450_James

Posted January 03, 2005 - 09:47 PM

Yeah, I'd love to hear who has one on too. I went to most of the web sites IMS, Acerbis, Zip-Ty, and found most not listing a tank for the 05. The AIS is an issue as most the big tanks use that area for tank space.

I wanted to do the tank, radiator guards/braces, and AIS removal all at the same time because they all gotta fit in the same space.

I am reluctant to do the tank mod till the manufacturers specify 2005 WR450.

Any 05'ers that have done this already?

(2.8gal I wish! the 05 has a 2.1gal tank)

• 52wheelz

Posted January 04, 2005 - 01:18 AM

I put on the IMS 3.1 on my 2005 WR450 with Flatland Radiator Guards and everything including the stock shrouds and seat fit fine. I had to do some minor mods on the right side radiator guard to fit the bottom bolt but generally it all fits.

• BURLEY

Posted January 04, 2005 - 07:55 AM

I too went IMS 3.1. It's a YZ part number. Fits awsome. Seat fits fine. I heard the WR shrouds fit for '05 as well. Since my new plastics kit is YZ also, I didn't even try the WR shrouds on the tank. A friend told me they should work though. Check out my garage for pics.

• TORTURECHAMBERS

Posted January 04, 2005 - 08:08 AM

Thanks guys!!!! I've been wondering the same thing myself. Gonna place the order soon... :cry: :cry: :cry:

• 450_James

Posted January 04, 2005 - 03:13 PM

Thanks all for the info!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wayne_Thompson

Posted January 04, 2005 - 04:35 PM

Try www.motosport.com

• 1BLUEsky

Posted January 21, 2007 - 08:42 PM

I just put on an IMS 3.4 gal tank on my 03. It works well with the stock seat as it offers two mounting spots.I run unabiker radiator guards and these also fit with a very small amount of persuassion to the right rear brace. Ive ordered the YZ shrouds as they ARE different between the WR and YZ up until 05 when they became the same part#.

• johnnyjeep

Posted January 22, 2007 - 05:45 AM

Iput the acerbis 6.6 on mine. I had a few fitment problems, but they were easily overcome.

http://i114.photobuc...ep/wr450003.jpg

• SID013

Posted January 22, 2007 - 05:22 PM

Has anyone put an 04 IMS,Clarke or Acerbis tank on their 05 ? I have already removed the smog pump so thats not an issue.Which one holds the fuel the lowest(For center of gravity)?And how does the seat fit?Pictures would be great.
Thanks

I have an '06 WR450 which I put a Clarke 2.8 from an '05 YZ450 onto. Fit was great & the standard WR seat & shrouds fitted even though Clarke sold me a YZ SDG seat after telling me me I needed it & even then it didn't fit as a YZ doesn't have a battery to interfere with the seat. I have also fitted Force Equipment Radiator guards also & the fit was a little tight with the right side of the guard just touching the tank. We don't have AIS smog c*%p fitted in Oz so clearance on that isn't an issue.

Hope this helps. :lol:

• charliep

Posted January 22, 2007 - 06:16 PM

I put the 3.3 acerbis on my 05 WR450. no problems, everything fit fine. The extra fuel is perfect. A Christmas present from my wife. Thumper talk has them, you just have to call. Low price, good customer service.

charlie

• windaddiction

Posted January 22, 2007 - 06:27 PM

I have the 6.6 too great tank long range, and it protects the rads in falls. But that much gas is heavy, ushally I'm only half full max.

• WRgrom

Posted January 31, 2007 - 05:49 PM

The Acerbis 3.3 tank is a good tank fit is flawless and the look is good too I put one on my 05 WR450 with no problems.:ride:

• TeXR

Posted January 31, 2007 - 08:46 PM

I have an Acerbis 3.3 on my 05. I've had it on for a couple of years and recall using an 04 tank. I really like it and it definately has a low center of gravity with a good profile. Didn't have to swap out shrouds with YZ model like suggested. Just worked my original shrouds in. Great tank! Off to Baja next week!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.