Vibration issues

6 replies to this topic
  • StockJockey

Posted December 30, 2004 - 06:05 AM

Firstly ... G-day all. ( yes Australian )

I've recently evolved from a cafe racing CBR900 Jockey to full blown reckless/fearless trail basher,and am in need of some friendly advice.( haven't ridden trail bike in years )

Just aquired a 1999 wr400 and are using it for commute to work and destruction of local golf courses on weekends.
In the scrub the damn thing is lethal,takes great pleasure in making me crap my dacks every chance it gets.It's road manners however are a little dishartening.
Cruisng at around 60 to 90 kms/hr I'm getting a nasty vibration coming in at intervals of 2 seconds and lasting for only 2 seconds. ( sorry,only way to describe ) the whole bike shudders.worse at higher speeds.

I am running road/off road rear tyre and off road front.( front to be changed to road/off road when i get chance )
Apart from buggered suspension can't think of much else to try.

idea's or experiences please ???

• Jackazz

Posted December 30, 2004 - 07:50 AM

If there's enough room below your handlebars to do it, pull your fork tubes up so that about 10-12mm is showing above the top tripple clamp. This will quicken the steering & should help get rid of some of the headshake/vibrations. Also, when you're riding on the road at higher speeds & it starts to vibrate, let your grip on the bars loosen a bit, almost to the point that you're barely holding on. Gripping the bars too tight (especially at higher speeds) can cause excessive gyration/headshake. :cry:

• StreetbikePimp

Posted December 30, 2004 - 11:48 AM

The above advice is good.

It would also help to make sure that your wheels are properly balanced as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simch

Posted December 30, 2004 - 03:04 PM

Maybe knackered head bearings too. Worth an inspection and re grease.

• Shuffler

Posted December 30, 2004 - 03:21 PM

Isn't prolonged street riding at highway speeds a bad thing for these bikes? I thought I saw a post a while back about how highway riding at high speeds is bad for the gearbox (?).

• cruise

Posted December 31, 2004 - 12:05 AM

I too have a local golf course i rip up. Must be an Aussie thing :cry:

• StockJockey

Posted December 31, 2004 - 04:58 PM

Isn't prolonged street riding at highway speeds a bad thing for these bikes? I thought I saw a post a while back about how highway riding at high speeds is bad for the gearbox (?).

That's eaxctly what I read when reading reviews on the bike when I was hunting.The gearboxs prefer quick squirts rather than winding them on for long periods.
My 20 min ride to work however has plenty of interuptions such as traffic lights,median strips and plenty of bush just of the road.So the most it puts up with is being held open at 90 km's/hr for a 5 minute stretch.

Thanks for the advise so far ... I'll commit some investigation and update when I get rid of the nasty.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.