Removing the Spark Plug on 04' WR450F?!?

11 replies to this topic
  • NoControl27

Posted December 29, 2004 - 03:42 PM

:cry:
I was always told that the only stupid question is the one not asked so here it goes. Just got my 04 WR450F on Xmas Eve. I want to set it up for storage for the winter time. I drained all the fuel from the tank and float bowl in the carb. I would like to remove the spark plug and add oil into the head. Once I removed the side guards and tank and took off the rubber piece that connects to the plug, I couldn't get my spark plug socket into the head to remove it!
What have you all used to remove the plug?

Thanks for all the support.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 29, 2004 - 03:54 PM

The bike comes with jets , manual, spoke wrench and spark plug socket made for the job. :cry: Go back to your dealer and get the rest of what you paid for. :cry:

• barefootbob

Posted December 29, 2004 - 04:21 PM

Dont store it ride it winter is for riding and summer is for watersports spring and fall are for both Ya I sad it YEEEEHAAAA!!!!

Posted December 29, 2004 - 05:01 PM

Mine never came with different jets???? :cry:

• StreetbikePimp

Posted December 29, 2004 - 05:51 PM

Your bike should have came with a tool bag. Inside of it would be the spark plug socket wrench.

• NoControl27

Posted December 29, 2004 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for the very quick response! I will go to the dealer and get the correct plug socket!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jdd123

Posted December 29, 2004 - 06:58 PM

I use the one from the dealer, however I did see one at Checker autoparts with a built in flexible socket that might work. The flexible part was part of the socket so they would now seperate. I once successfully tried a socket and attached a flexible adapter but had concerns that the thing would seperate leaving the socket and plug in the hole. Plus this one at Checker was $10 while it is over $20 to order the Yamaha wrench from the dealer.

• mtrablue

Posted December 29, 2004 - 08:38 PM

i just use a socket with a universal joint on it. no big deal. the stock yamaha wrench is the ticket though. the small hex end is also a 10mm socket that will allow you to remove your seat and tank bolts if needed. you know, like out in the woods when you have to pull the plug to pump water out of a drowned motor. don't ask me how i know.

• Jackazz

Posted December 30, 2004 - 07:23 AM

i just use a socket with a universal joint on it. no big deal. the stock yamaha wrench is the ticket though. the small hex end is also a 10mm socket that will allow you to remove your seat and tank bolts if needed. you know, like out in the woods when you have to pull the plug to pump water out of a drowned motor. don't ask me how i know.

D'oh! :cry:

Hmmm, maybe I shold start carrying that thing w/ me... & an extra plug... :cry: For whatever reason I've gotten used to riding while carrying nothing, but I've also only ridden at St. Joe & colterville (Coyote ATV Trailriders), but that's not really any excuse. :cry:

Yeah, I also use a 5/8" SP socket with u-loint & then a 6" extension to get at my plug. Have never touched the bike with the "wrench" that came with it. The thing I noticed about changing the plug was that getting the coil/plug-boot out of the head took a bit of work, as the coil hit's the backbone of the frame as soon as you start pulling it out. I ended up just having to flex the plug boot a bit to pull the coil over to the throttle side of the frame & get it out. It is much easier to do now that I've done it a couple of times though...

• mtb275

Posted December 30, 2004 - 07:45 AM

Dont store it ride it winter is for riding and summer is for watersports spring and fall are for both Ya I sad it YEEEEHAAAA!!!!

I agree why store it in the winter? ride it

• StreetbikePimp

Posted December 30, 2004 - 11:40 AM

We store our bikes in the winter, because we are riding our snowmobiles instead.

• Beef

Posted December 30, 2004 - 04:06 PM

Acutally you are better off putting Sta-Bil in the gas, and running it long enough to fill the carb bowl. If you leave the tank and bowl empty, you are just asking for condensation, which a) causes rust and :cry: hard starting next spring. Sta-Bil will prevent both.

As for putting oil in the cylinder, I'd only do it if you KNOW you aren't going to fire the beast up AT ALL for several months. I like to fire mine up at least once every couple weeks to keep it all lubed up...which is another advantage of using Sta-Bil, rather than the run-r-dry method. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.