Check valve clearance or not?

4 replies to this topic
  • redmanrandyed

Posted December 29, 2004 - 07:37 AM

I have a 2000 XR650R and have not checked the valve clearances yet. The question I have is do I need to check and adjust the valves if the bike is running great? Are there any signs of valves needing adjusting? When should one check and adjust the valves?

Thanks in advance,

Redmanrandyed

• Old_Man_Time

Posted December 29, 2004 - 08:29 AM

I have a 2000 XR650R and have not checked the valve clearances yet. The question I have is do I need to check and adjust the valves if the bike is running great? Are there any signs of valves needing adjusting? When should one check and adjust the valves?

Thanks in advance,

Redmanrandyed

Odds are if it starts easy, idles nice and has great power through out the range it's ok. If you are comfortable doing valves that have a auto-decomp, check them for peace of mind.
:cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mokuleia

Posted December 29, 2004 - 10:51 AM

How does the auto decomp effect valve adjustment? As long as you end up at TDC on the "T", and there is play in the rocker arms, should one be all set for adjustment?

Hoping I didn't miss something....

• JackAttack

Posted December 29, 2004 - 11:33 AM

Odds are if it starts easy, idles nice and has great power through out the range it's ok. If you are comfortable doing valves that have a auto-decomp, check them for peace of mind.

My bike was starting great and running great. I decided to check the valves anyway since I had the tank off. The intake valves were tight. It had much more snap after that, and I did not even notice the bike was running a little flat before. :cry:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted December 29, 2004 - 11:57 AM

How does the auto decomp effect valve adjustment? As long as you end up at TDC on the "T", and there is play in the rocker arms, should one be all set for adjustment?

Hoping I didn't miss something....

You will know that the auto-decomp kicked in if when you start it there is a very loud tapping. If you allow the motor to kick back even a little when your turning it over to find TDC the auto-decomp will set. If you had play in every valve before you loosened and adjusted them, your fine. :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.