Oil Level not reading

8 replies to this topic
  • NewBee

Posted December 29, 2004 - 04:20 AM

hey peolpe, my oil dipstick is only reading oil on the very tip of it. I haven't lost any oil or change it since a friend of mine had done it. The oil was fine til i put her up. The only thing that I have done is remove and change the spark plug. Would removing the spark plug affect this and if so, Why?

:cry: :cry:

• mousemeat

Posted December 29, 2004 - 05:10 AM

It needs to be warm when you check the oil.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 29, 2004 - 05:11 AM

Only check the oil level after running the engine for 10 seconds.
If it is showing low add some. If it continues to do so you either have a leak or are burning it up past the rings or valves. If you change your oil every weekend like most of us here you may never notice a drop in oil level. :cry:

• NewBee

Posted December 29, 2004 - 05:17 AM

So what your telling me is that if the bike sits long enough, the oil drains from the resevoir back into the crank case. Taking out the spark plug has no effect. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DEZRCR

Posted December 29, 2004 - 05:29 AM

So what your telling me is that if the bike sits long enough, the oil drains from the resevoir back into the crank case. Taking out the spark plug has no effect. :cry:

Exactly. :cry:

• Rooster426

Posted December 29, 2004 - 11:53 AM

10 seconds to warm up? My manual says warm up bike for 3 minutes before checking oil level...

• wr_power

Posted December 29, 2004 - 12:28 PM

I would run it at least three minutes, as long as it is warm. :cry:

• mousemeat

Posted December 30, 2004 - 07:39 AM

i wouldnt run it for three minutes if i wasn't sure there was enough oil in it.

• NewBee

Posted December 30, 2004 - 11:36 AM

But why does the oil level drop so much when the bike is idle or not used?

:cry: :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.