Stripped bottom Hex head bolt with flange on Oil Filter Cover?

8 replies to this topic
  • ThumpDave

Posted December 28, 2004 - 06:35 PM

I was cleaning my scott's filter during oil change. went to put it back together put the top two bolts in (dont remember what order) but went to put the bolt in with the flange and the hex head - there was a little resistance but not much and then it went in but not like I was really cross-threaded. anyhow the bolt wouldn't sit down and tighten.

I pulled it out and the threads were stripped except for a few at the tip of the bolt.

I called parts they didnt have one. I tired to pick his brain about the bolt vs. the case and the hardening aspects of each. The bolt seemed awefully soft.

a few things
1. bolt is a hex head - wouldn't hint to it being a softer allow
2. the bolt is only $0.88 - most case bolts are a couple of bucks

I guess what I'm trying to figure out - is what are the chances that I stripped the case as well as the bolt.

I got it seated enought to where I fired the bike up with no leakes but I'm freaking.
Looking for some feed back.
Dave

• jimmyg

Posted December 28, 2004 - 06:42 PM

that happend on my 426 just before i sold it i replaced the bolt & heli coiled the case it was better than new.

• ThumpDave

Posted December 28, 2004 - 06:51 PM

what does it mean to heli coil it and how do I do it?
Dave[COLOR=RoyalBlue]undefined[/COLOR] :cry:

• HS624KS

Posted December 28, 2004 - 07:47 PM

what does it mean to heli coil it and how do I do it?
Dave[COLOR=RoyalBlue]undefined[/COLOR] :cry:

http://www.emhart.co...s/helicoil.html
is one place you can check them out.
Go to any decent auto parts store like Napa, etc.

Pretty cheap and easy repair.
Make sure you use the correct drill bit size when you prep the hole.

Strong as He!! by the way. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz426onNOS

Posted December 29, 2004 - 12:03 AM

Almost did the same thing to mine. Try a slightly longer bolt and that should get you buy. Or the heilicoil is the best idea!

• alfie

Posted December 29, 2004 - 02:24 AM

You could even try running a thread tap down the hole, might even save the hassle of helicoiling.

• stezlaki

Posted December 29, 2004 - 11:42 AM

Mine almost stripped. I could tell something wasn't quite right as I was tightening it, so stopped. I fixed the threads on both the bolt and the case with either tap/die, or my Craftsman "thread repair" kit (I don't remember if I had the thread repair kit at that time.......~$50 for kit......invaluable when you need it!). Have changed the oil/cleaned filter a few times since and so far so good. But mine wasn't totally destroyed........yours may be worse, if so, the Helicoil would be the way to go.

Interestingly, I had been quite particular on this bike using torque wrenches (Craftsman) for everything, including that bolt at the time it semi-stripped. Had a similar situation with a bolt of the same size on the fork guards. I have now reverted back to tightening those sized bolts by "feel" w/ a 1/4" drive ratchet.

• jdd123

Posted December 29, 2004 - 12:06 PM

I did the same thing and was shocked as I always start my bolts by hand. I ordered a new bold and used a metric tap/die to gently fix the case and old bolt. I put oil on the threads of the bolts before starting them now.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 29, 2004 - 02:33 PM

timeset / tymesert is the better alternative to helicoil. :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.