Opinion on Suspension work

19 replies to this topic
  • rmracer27

Posted December 28, 2004 - 05:24 PM

I have an 05 yz450f that I'm about to have suspension work done and I was wondering who everyone uses and how do you like it? I had an 02 rm250 that was done by pro-action and it was ok but I think it could have been better. I'm thinking about going Race Tech and I have read the write up that Brian did and they sound great but thought I would get others opinions. Any info would be great guys.
Thanks
Andy

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2004 - 05:44 PM

From what I hear about the '05 fork, buy some springs appropriate to your weight, set the clickers at about 10 or 12 out, and leave them alone. The rear shock might be something you could improve on, but try the springs first. Nevermind what us guys with the '03/'04s use, yours is different.

• yz007f

Posted December 28, 2004 - 07:10 PM

If you want to get it done get ENZO by far worth the money.

• yz426onNOS

Posted December 29, 2004 - 12:05 AM

I spent about 1,300 hundred. I went with motopro. I got new valves, oil, springs, internals and had it tuned for my weight and rideing style. After that. I could go 2 gears faster up some of my fav trails. It is wearth it's weight in gold!

• yzwiley

Posted December 29, 2004 - 05:49 PM

Having the suspension tuned for your weight, skills, and riding type is the best money you can spend on a bike. The tough part of that deal is finding a tuner that does great work.

• rmracer27

Posted December 29, 2004 - 06:23 PM

I have been talking with race tech and thats the way I'm going to go looks like. My stock springs are fine for my weight and riding so that will save me some money. Looks like I will be taking my new bike apart this weekend. :cry:

Later
Andy

• John_Lorenz

Posted December 29, 2004 - 06:43 PM

The best thing you can do is find someone who is reputable and understands how to setup for your given skill level and riding style plus terrain.

MX-Tech is a great place to go, Enzo is mentioned, as weill as another.

I used a guy local in Calif who has been doing suspension for a long time.
http://www.aftershoc.../pages/home.htm
Phill has been around a long long time and knows his buisness

• Matt96xr6

Posted December 29, 2004 - 06:53 PM

I dont know of really anyone that has had the 05 Twin Chamber KYBs revalved yet. Everyone is very happy with them. If you weight over 150lbs, then add 10-20cc more oil to each fork. Then just tune the clickers.

Stock, they are way better than my racetech gold valves in the 46mm forks.

• crazyYammi

Posted December 29, 2004 - 08:18 PM

i had my 04 done by a local guy and he did springs and left the valving stock. he says revalving is not necessary. He used amsoil synthetic oil so the damping wont fade when the shock heats up.

on crf450 the valving is already soft and you cant get enough rebound damping with heavier springs, he always revaves them.

• gonzo

Posted December 30, 2004 - 06:35 AM

Hey check out http://fatmaxracing.com. He's a genius with 05 stuff. He spent alot of time with both my 05 learning the in's and out's. He did a great job on it. Also he'll give you a discount if you mention my name.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumper38

Posted December 30, 2004 - 06:51 AM

I got my done by PR-2 racing in Penn. He did an awsome job, I have an 05 also!

• Ga426owner

Posted December 30, 2004 - 10:36 AM

I have been talking with race tech and thats the way I'm going to go looks like. My stock springs are fine for my weight and riding so that will save me some money. Looks like I will be taking my new bike apart this weekend. :cry:

Later
Andy

Racetech is ok.....there Goldvalves work better than stock - don't bother with Deltavalves (my opinion)
Enzo and RG3 are other very very good alternatives - your riding style will dictate as well as your pocketbook this decision :cry:

• yzwiley

Posted December 30, 2004 - 11:56 AM

I dont know of really anyone that has had the 05 Twin Chamber KYBs revalved yet. Everyone is very happy with them.

My '05 YZ250 has been revalved.

And if you all are going to start posting links to your guys, well then, here are my heros: Independent Race Shop

• rakkno

Posted December 30, 2004 - 08:01 PM

JN Inovations in Northern California is great. Excellent tuner and priced well. He will tune for weight, type of terrain and type of riding you prefer. A+++++

• Vibeguy

Posted January 02, 2005 - 10:07 PM

I'd like to find someone who can make my 02 426 forks work better. I have an 81 Maico and the forks on it put the 426 forks to shame. I have tried different oil weights, levels and all the available adjustments, nothing makes them feel like I think they should. Any recommendations?

Thanks

• MrMotorhed

Posted January 07, 2005 - 03:29 PM

race tech is awesome. they do thier homework

• Satch0922

Posted January 07, 2005 - 06:50 PM

I dont know of really anyone that has had the 05 Twin Chamber KYBs revalved yet. Everyone is very happy with them. If you weight over 150lbs, then add 10-20cc more oil to each fork. Then just tune the clickers.

Stock, they are way better than my racetech gold valves in the 46mm forks.

on the 05's can you just take the cap off and add oil? Just didn't know if there was a trick to adding oil to the twin chamber forks.

• Satch0922

Posted January 09, 2005 - 06:52 PM

on the 05's can you just take the cap off and add oil? Just didn't know if there was a trick to adding oil to the twin chamber forks.

Anyone? ? ?

• rmracer27

Posted January 09, 2005 - 07:11 PM

When I talk to the guy thats doing my suspension work I will ask him and let you know...It will be tuesday before I get to ask him satch....

• Satch0922

Posted January 09, 2005 - 07:15 PM

10-4...thanks rmracer!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.