04 WR450 the last real bike!

39 replies to this topic
  • barefootbob

Posted December 28, 2004 - 03:12 PM

:cry: my 04 wr450 is so bad :cry: I'm sorry but 04 was the last year for for the wr I know lots of you like green stiker bikes but where I live we ride year around with red stikers.This green/red stiker deal is step one of the worthless peace of craps trying to take away our riding rites they hide behine the fresh air act but the main course is our riding rites.If the wackos realy wanted fresh air they would go after the trucking or factory indus.
my son is not big enough for a wr250 but I'll buy one the year befor they go green :cry: The next thing will be our ski boats why dont these wackos go to?

• ncmountainman

Posted December 28, 2004 - 03:48 PM

i feel your pain brother!! :cry:

• Gadsen

Posted December 28, 2004 - 04:30 PM

:cry: my 04 wr450 is so bad :cry: I'm sorry but 04 was the last year for for the wr I know lots of you like green stiker bikes but where I live we ride year around with red stikers.This green/red stiker deal is step one of the worthless peace of craps ...

I have the best of both then. I have an 04 WR450F and its road plated, and fits under "green" in cally because its a Canadian import! Heck, I didnt even need to chop down the throttle stop or cut any gray wires either. Even the insert has an opening twice the size of the US ones, but I replaced it with a PMB one anyway. But I know the76y are always improving each year. Sometimes they make take a step backwards before they take a few forward.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 28, 2004 - 04:31 PM

Believe it or not, I'll bet they'll sell more bikes for the very fact that the bikes are now green stickered. While it's not very important to you that they're green stickered some will say that it's a long overdue change.

• barefootbob

Posted December 28, 2004 - 04:55 PM

Ya I know, and I know I'm selfish for thinking this way but it's about fresh air and dirtbikes dont even make up for 1% of reg. vec.out their ,toyota mdt tech [you dog!riding wheeles on your street legal hotrod wr450 :cry: I just think this hole red stiker thang is a scam to get rid of dirtriders :cry: When these winyass people come into my shop my wages go up.they have to do buisness with me if they want to get the job done rite :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 28, 2004 - 04:58 PM

Believe it or not, I'll bet they'll sell more bikes for the very fact that the bikes are now green stickered. While it's not very important to you that they're green stickered some will say that it's a long overdue change.

That may very well be true! :cry:

But I did not buy a WR450 because they sell more of them! If that was an important criteria we would all be riding red! :cry:

Many of us die hard WR450 users disagree with the new technologies introduced:

Non adjustable needle jet.
no fuel screw.
AIS plumbing
smaller radiators.
smaller fuel tank.
Less suspension travel

The above are all engineering low budget bandaids to a real WR450 with a redesigned lower frame!

Why not have a 2" lower seat with 14" of ground clearance and suspension travel!

Why not have fuel injection with programmable fuel management for a green sticker status!

Why not offer the bike with a 3.5 gallon tank and the option to replace it with a YZ tank for those who want less!

Why not keep the larger radiators and add an oil cooler!

I can almost compare this to our greatly improved TT upgrade where we just get less and its because we asked for it?

But I wont go there! :cry:

• HarveyMushman

Posted December 28, 2004 - 05:52 PM

Gee and I was feeling so good about my new WR. :cry:

Maybe it is because I am coming over from the Red side and I am used to making mods to a bike to get it the way I want it. With the exception of the smaller tank, they are items I can work with.
Now as far as the GREEN menance goes I'm with you there, they are wasting time and money trying to get rid of us. I hope it is a battle that we can win, there are times when it feels hopless though. Green sticker/red sticker, aren't us Californiains the only one that have to deal with it?

• BURLEY

Posted December 28, 2004 - 08:36 PM

I agree with the original post to a point BUT.....my '05 screams. It now has an adjustable needle and a larger tank than stock. I am 5'7" so the shorter stance was welcome. The green sticker was the deciding factor. I am not happy that in this day and age you have to buy a bike that runs like a turd and do a bunch of work to let it run to it's potential. But, if that's what it takes, I'll do it. I'm hopelessly addicted.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 28, 2004 - 08:38 PM

That may very well be true! :cry:

But I did not buy a WR450 because they sell more of them! If that was an important criteria we would all be riding red! :cry:

Many of us die hard WR450 users disagree with the new technologies introduced:

Non adjustable needle jet.
no fuel screw.
AIS plumbing
smaller radiators.
smaller fuel tank.
Less suspension travel

The above are all engineering low budget bandaids to a real WR450 with a redesigned lower frame!

Why not have a 2" lower seat with 14" of ground clearance and suspension travel!

Why not have fuel injection with programmable fuel management for a green sticker status!

Why not offer the bike with a 3.5 gallon tank and the option to replace it with a YZ tank for those who want less!

Why not keep the larger radiators and add an oil cooler!

I can almost compare this to our greatly improved TT upgrade where we just get less and its because we asked for it?

But I wont go there! :cry:

Boy do I disagree with you.... New carb,new forks,new front brake routing (finally),new aluminum exhaust can,new Renthal bars, wheel collars,Green sticker,slimmest WR ever and lighter (we'll have to see about that) etc.... Has nothing to do with how "die hard" you are or aren't.. The 05 model should be the best WR to date... I'll get mine in a few days, it'll be my 4th WR, I give you my honest opinion on my POS.

Did you know that the 05's travel is 12.0" compaired to 12.4 on the 04's? .4" That's smaller than my fingernail on my pinky, C'mon... Lower CG for .4" You won't feel the loss of .4" of suspension in the rear. The 05 WR is still taller than every KTM RFS made (the competition)....

I'll give you one, the tank is small for offroad 2.1 doesn't cut it.

As for the Smog.... For a group of guys that cut grey wires and throttle stops, YZ time their cams on the WR, uncork their exhaust and install jet kits,simple removal of smog crap shouldn't be much of a challenge, I've read the threads already.. Sounds to me like a couple of beers and it's done.. No problems if you ask me..

EFI, you weren't really expecting the 05's to have efi? Maybe one day when it's cost effective..

Nothing wrong with having a little pride with your bike but it doesn't have to mean that the next model is headed in the wrong direction. In my own personal opinion, the WR is headed the the right direction and I think Yamaha has done a great job with their new bikes.

• HarveyMushman

Posted December 28, 2004 - 10:03 PM

Hey Burley, which tank did you wind up with? I'm considering the Clarke2.8 and SDG tall seat. I know that when Utah rolls around this Summer I will wish I had the larger tank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chiefsfan.58

Posted December 28, 2004 - 11:49 PM

Thanks for your post Dan. I was beginning to wonder if my bike wasn't the beast that I thought it was........So far my biggest concern is that 2.1 gallon tank. To me, it seems way too small for a bike that is designed more for desert and woods than a track! I have never done anything to the bikes I have owned except ride the hell out of them and abuse them, while only making sure the gas tank is topped off. Now this is my first ever "brand new" motorcycle and I am set in my mind that I am gonna take great care of it. That said, all the "free mods" that I have done so far have been very simple and made me think to myself after I did them, "I was worried about that being difficult?". Nothing too hard yet, just a bunch of reading and sorting through the things that I think I should or don't need to do.
Thanks for all you TT'ers input, I am becoming a better rider just thru gaining knowledge by reading on this site :cry: .

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted December 29, 2004 - 01:12 AM

when I bought my 04 WR450 here in Arizona in April, I was issued a metal motorcycle license plate. Don't quite under stand how I'm supposed to put a metal plate on my WR but so far 550 miles and no plate no stickers. HEHEHE :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 29, 2004 - 05:57 AM

You need to make a bracket or buy one to drill the rear fender and add it on. That way you can remove it for technical trails if you wish. :cry:

• thumper_dad

Posted December 29, 2004 - 07:36 AM

when I bought my 04 WR450 here in Arizona in April, I was issued a metal motorcycle license plate. Don't quite under stand how I'm supposed to put a metal plate on my WR but so far 550 miles and no plate no stickers. HEHEHE :cry:

Nice job, I wish the DMV would screw up like that for me once in awhile

• barefootbob

Posted December 29, 2004 - 10:54 AM

I'm sure the new upgrades arer great sounds like the 05 has some positive additions but when I pay 6500+ for a toy it better be a beast out of the creat.But nnnooo we still have to put out more cash to make it rite.Why would Yamaha or any outher manufacture think the trail riders dont want as much power as the mx'ers why build a hotrod motor and put a govenor on it.I can see toning it down just a little to make the bike more maintanace freindly but a smog pump?!!on a dirt bike!!To bad the manufactures don't feal our pain and sick ther high price lawers on the wackos, hell their just sitting around collecting the fat pay check.The 1st one to stand up to the wackos has my buisness.But insted like a dog they roll over and say pet my belly!!!

• chiefsfan.58

Posted December 29, 2004 - 10:50 PM

:cry: are you guys really from Cali? I can't beleive that with all our strict rules and guidelines that you other Californians are actually surprised at the lengths the manufacturers have gone to to make these bikes green sticker registered......... So far all my mods have cost less than $100 and not too much of my time. They can tune down the bike all they want as long as the bike can be tuned back up after I get my green sticka :cry: .

• BURLEY

Posted December 29, 2004 - 10:56 PM

Hey Burley, which tank did you wind up with? I'm considering the Clarke2.8 and SDG tall seat. I know that when Utah rolls around this Summer I will wish I had the larger tank.

IMS 3.1. It's slim (the extra capacity is down low which lowers the CG even more) and and now comes with two mounting positions which eliminate the need to buy a YZ seat as in the past.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 30, 2004 - 08:32 AM

I'm sure the new upgrades arer great sounds like the 05 has some positive additions but when I pay 6500+ for a toy it better be a beast out of the creat.But nnnooo we still have to put out more cash to make it rite.Why would Yamaha or any outher manufacture think the trail riders dont want as much power as the mx'ers why build a hotrod motor and put a govenor on it.I can see toning it down just a little to make the bike more maintanace freindly but a smog pump?!!on a dirt bike!!To bad the manufactures don't feal our pain and sick ther high price lawers on the wackos, hell their just sitting around collecting the fat pay check.The 1st one to stand up to the wackos has my buisness.But insted like a dog they roll over and say pet my belly!!!

You can't name ONE year that the WR came out of the crate as a "Beast". The 04? It came all plugged up too, the breaking point to this thread is the AIS. Basically, all WRs (even Canadian/Euro models) need a certain amount of "unplugging" before the dreaded AIS system.

There is a difference between offroad bikes and closed course bikes. YZs and CRFs are made to run on the track. When you manufature a motorcycle for use in OHV trails and other Government recognized areas, they're gonna want to regulate it.. I agree that's it's complete BS....... That's why it's so important that we all fight for our rights. Everyone should be a member of the Blue Ribbon Cololition and fight these special intrest groups like the Sierra Club that keep us out of areas (becasue of polution issues), I agree it's all BS.....

It's not just Yamaha that has to conform to government regulations, they ALL do.. Yamaha has a patented 5 valve head design, while I think it's the best and most reliable valve train ever in offroading it might be harder to get a Green sticker because of it's configuration.

I have one question, do you belong to a group that fights these land/government issues or do you roll over like a dog and say "pet my belly" others will fight for me?

By the way, my local dealer does everthing to the WR's before the customer sees the bike.

And yes, the 05 is a real WR..

The new Dirtrider's coming out in 3 weeks, the big test of the month is the new WR450 and the new WR250, while I expect for them to scoff at the AIS, I would be surprised if they didn't find the bike to have improved over the previous years. I trust Jimmy Lewis and his opinions.. We'll see what the pros think..

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 30, 2004 - 09:55 AM

:cry: I can't believe that with all our strict rules and guidelines that you other Californians are actually surprised at the lengths the manufacturers have gone to to make these bikes green sticker registered.........:cry: .

I dont have a problem with California trying to stop smog production. :cry: I just dont like when it makes policy for the rest of the country! :cry:

• barefootbob

Posted December 30, 2004 - 05:03 PM

That's why it's so important that we all fight for our rights. Everyone should be a member of the Blue Ribbon Cololition and fight these special intrest groups like the Sierra Club that keep us out of areas (becasue of polution issues), I agree it's all BS.....

I have one question, do you belong to a group that fights these land/government issues or do you roll over like a dog and say "pet my belly" others will fight for me?

:cry: never herd of the blueribbon coalition :cry: Went to my browser found ther website printed out the membership application dude its in the envelope going out with the morning mail :cry: I might be a dog but I'll never roll over. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.