Keep losing plug on crankcase cover

7 replies to this topic
  • nevadajay1

Posted December 28, 2004 - 08:46 AM

Just ordered my second replacement plug for the crankcase cover (smaller of the two). Appearently it is backing out as I ride, and then I look down to discover an open hole with oil seeping out and dirt getting in! Anyone else having this problem?

• Jackazz

Posted December 28, 2004 - 08:48 AM

Two words:

Safety Wire

• wildo

Posted December 28, 2004 - 08:49 AM

I never heard of it make sure the theads are in good condition and try using lock tite.

• nevadajay1

Posted December 28, 2004 - 08:50 AM

Once installed, the plug is flush with the case. I can't visualize how to drill it out for safety wire. Sugestions?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jackazz

Posted December 28, 2004 - 10:42 AM

Try drilling it at an angle, from about 2mm away from the slot in the middle & angle the bit so it comes out at the deepest part of the slot. & remember whatever you wire it to should be secure & in such a location as to apply tension in the tightening direction. Maybe add a bead of silicone all the way around the plug after you install & wire it for added protection?

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 28, 2004 - 10:45 AM

You most likely have a bad plastic plug again. Order another replacement. I have not heard of this issue on any of the WR's or YZ's . I doubt the threads are not machined correctly in the case. Plastic plug is most likely bad on your replacement plug as well. :cry:

• Jackazz

Posted December 28, 2004 - 12:22 PM

nevadajay1, this is a total shot in the dark, but if you've lost several of your timing plugs, I wonder if you should look for a couple of symptoms...

1. Overtightened plug - The plug is plastic, & if overtightened could crack the threaded portion (which you might not see) & make it much more suceptable to falling out.

2. This one is the big stretch... Blocked/kinked crankcase breather hose - Too much pressure in crank case will follow the path of least resistance to get out. I would think that it would simply blow the breather hose off of the top of the valve cover rather than poping your timing plug, but I guess you never know. :cry:

Maybe it's even some combination of all of the above. :cry:

Good luck :cry:

• purluvwr450

Posted December 28, 2004 - 04:17 PM

I had the same problem with mine so I just put a small peice of duct tape over it and it has stopped all the problems, doesn't look really good but it does the job.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.