YZ 426 vs XR 650

9 replies to this topic
  • xsr71x

Posted December 28, 2004 - 06:13 AM

I am posting this in both sides let me know whawhat you think! I have the opportunity to purchase both Hon is 00 Yam is 01 both for 2k in great shape...Which is gonna be best for all-purpose bike

• ttr125smms120

Posted December 28, 2004 - 07:01 AM

i would go with the yz 426. you can do trails or mx, and the lighter weight will really be handy.

• yz400fl1

Posted December 28, 2004 - 07:05 AM

I agree, with ttr125. Unless you are doing nothing but desert get the 426. Alot more fun for all purpose, you'll love that snap!

• big t

Posted December 28, 2004 - 10:28 PM

If had I had to have just one bike it would be the xr650r. Both are great bikes. I just prefer the power delivery on the 650 for anything other than mx. But I have mx'd the 650 and it does alright. If you're dual sporting definately go with the xr. If the 650 is the L model I would go with the yz.

• yz426onNOS

Posted December 28, 2004 - 11:55 PM

I would base it on this:

If you don't weigh in at over 300 and want a real fast bike with a lot of power get the 426. If you want a good all aroud bike and don't mind the weight and don't care about a full on HP bike go with the xr.

But if your like me and weigh 360 and almost 400 with gear the 426 just won't do on those long steep hills.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zeroseven

Posted December 29, 2004 - 09:34 AM

All round as in road use also?

• BigIvyI

Posted December 29, 2004 - 10:53 AM

That 650 power and smooth torque is amazingly sweet in tight woods. The bike hides it's weight very well also.

• mcarp

Posted December 29, 2004 - 05:33 PM

I somehow get the impression you aren't too experienced on a dirtbike if you have to ask this question.The XR is a desert bike, the YZ an MX bike. I'm probably wrong, but if not...don't even think about these two if you are a new dirt rider! They are both extremely fast machines for experiences riders only. If you are a street rider and think you can handle them in the dirt, think again my friend. They are beasts.

I'm not an expert on Georgia riding, but from what I've seen of the state and neighboring areas, the woods are dense, the hills are steep, and conditions seem to be red clay (ie very slick) and sand. Neither of these bikes are optimal for these types of east coast trail conditions. Especially the XR.

Please tell us more about yourself (age, riding experience, weight/height, strenght level) and where exactly you plan on riding to help us recommend something for you. All-around means different things to different people...are you trail riding, dual sporting, motocrossing, or just screwing around on some private property?

Just because they happened to be for sale in your area in a price range you are comfortable with does not make them the only choices.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

• Ga426owner

Posted December 30, 2004 - 03:05 PM

I somehow get the impression you aren't too experienced on a dirtbike if you have to ask this question.The XR is a desert bike, the YZ an MX bike. I'm probably wrong, but if not...don't even think about these two if you are a new dirt rider! They are both extremely fast machines for experiences riders only. If you are a street rider and think you can handle them in the dirt, think again my friend. They are beasts.

I'm not an expert on Georgia riding, but from what I've seen of the state and neighboring areas, the woods are dense, the hills are steep, and conditions seem to be red clay (ie very slick) and sand. Neither of these bikes are optimal for these types of east coast trail conditions. Especially the XR.

Please tell us more about yourself (age, riding experience, weight/height, strenght level) and where exactly you plan on riding to help us recommend something for you. All-around means different things to different people...are you trail riding, dual sporting, motocrossing, or just screwing around on some private property?

Just because they happened to be for sale in your area in a price range you are comfortable with does not make them the only choices.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

I am a Georgia rider - forget the XR it is too damn heavy to have any fun here in the woods or elsewhere in the SE it is a big pig and the trails are too tight to have fun.....I had a XR400 - it is a better choice / not the best choice! - the YZF is great for MX - I found out a long time ago on trails/woods especially hills if you bog or fall - you have your hands full with the starting techique for the 98-02 - if fact it plain sux! (bash me bash me bash me) :cry:

I hate to offer negative advice but buy the YZF for MX, buy a 2smoke or KTM or any electric start for the woods - buy the XR650 for the desert!

There are great deals on used dirtbikes as you can name your price in most cases - you need to decide what you will ride. MX or Trails or both - and buy the right choice the first time - otherwise you will be very unhappy with your decision :cry:

• JT_Thumpster

Posted December 30, 2004 - 08:07 PM

the XR weighs in at over 300 pounds, the yz is 250, i have a friend that had the xr 650 and after a day of riding he was so dead and he weighs 200 and has been riding for years and years so he traded it in for a 04 WR450

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.