Weep hole under water pump?

8 replies to this topic
  • Ronnie Mac

Posted December 27, 2004 - 10:07 PM

Can anyone tell me about the hole just under the water pump? Mine leaks during cold temp warm-ups.(just a few ounces, for short time) :cry:

• blue_beast_wins

Posted December 27, 2004 - 10:10 PM

Yes, you need to replace your water pump seal but check the shaft also, if the shaft is even slightly grooved replace it also otherwise it will still leak.

• Ronnie Mac

Posted December 27, 2004 - 10:26 PM

But it only leaks at start up. Once engine warms up stops .

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted December 27, 2004 - 10:36 PM

But it only leaks at start up. Once engine warms up stops .

Is it particularly cold where you live? Someone else on here has had the same problem, leaked a little the first couple of times he started the bike, but went away once it was warm. I recall his stopped leaking, but he keeps spare seals in case..... It was quite cold where he was from..... If yours is leaking constantly, I would do as 'bluebeast' says, replace seal, check shaft for wear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ronnie Mac

Posted December 27, 2004 - 10:53 PM

Its only cold right now (lower Illinois, 14" snow few days ago) adout 20 deg f during the problem. Have about 10,000 miles on this bike, never happend last year and I road whin temps in the teens. Sorry spell check aint working for me :cry: :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 28, 2004 - 02:47 AM

The guys are right. This is normal! You do have to replace the water pump seals. side cover gasket and the water pump shaft. I am on my 4th set. It wont be long before you will start leaking while you are riding. Just order the parts and do it. The water pump seal has no lube and the plastic eats the shaft when it is hard and cold. :cry:

• Jackazz

Posted December 28, 2004 - 06:49 AM

The guys are right. This is normal! You do have to replace the water pump seals. side cover gasket and the water pump shaft. I am on my 4th set. It wont be long before you will start leaking while you are riding. Just order the parts and do it. The water pump seal has no lube and the plastic eats the shaft when it is hard and cold. :cry:

So has anyone (Ty Davis, Boysen, etc...) come up with a long term solution to this? Seems quite a waste to just keep replacing the inferior parts with the same inferior parts. :cry: You'd think Yamaha would have addressed this themselves by now... :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 28, 2004 - 07:10 AM

I run the Boyesen pump and they have no long term solution either. I think the trick is to get a custom water seal with a teflon bushing pressed on the shaft and located with a flange. The other trick might be to send the shaft out to be plasma teflon coated at the seal surface. But that will wear out eventually. :cry:

• Ronnie Mac

Posted December 28, 2004 - 09:03 AM

Well I guess this would be the best time to do it. Thanks :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.