98 YZ 400 rebuild cost?

1 reply to this topic
  • Asrith

Posted December 27, 2004 - 09:27 PM

Hello, I am going to purchase this yz 400 for 500.00 dollars and because the the decompression lever is stuck I cannot kick it over. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how much a shop would charge for rebuild? I am think the valves may have been hit, I know they are a 100 bucks a piece, plus more for whatever else..any ideas? Should I talk this guy down more? Your advice is very much appreciated. I am lost on this, this would be my first 4 stroke.
Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YAMAKAZE

Posted December 28, 2004 - 08:25 AM

It cost me $1500.00 to completely rebuild my 99 YZ400

Piston
Valves
Rings
Complete Crank/Including Rod/Wrist Pin
Both Crank Bearings
Timing Chain
Complete Gasket Kit
Complete Clutch Basket Assy (Hub/Basket/Plates/Springs/Pressure Plate/Rod/Outer Bearing)
High Output Water Pump

NOTE: After 4 years of harescrambles racing, the only things that actually needed to be replaced was the Timing chain, as it was a bit worn, and the Clutch basket because it had some pretty deep grooves in the basket ears from the plates shifting back and fourth. Everything else was fine, but since I had already had everything in my parts bin I figured what the heck, My kid likes the bike and it would basically be new all over again.

I would look at the bike meticously before I spent a bunch of money replacing things. The 99's are basically bulletproof if the oil has been changed on a frequent basis. (You can get a good feel for how it has been maintained, by draining the oil and removing the Clutch basket on the R/S and the Flywheel Cover on the left side and inspect it for sludge build up and excessive metal shavings. I also remove the oil filter cover and run a pipe cleaner down the oil pickup galley way and check for abnormal buildup, If it appears good, I will do a leakdown test to check the rings and the valve seats, If that's good I would go ahead and pull the valve cover and yank the chain as you will already have the flywheel cover off anyway. A chain is not expensive and is very easy to replace. Doing this also verifies the timing and gives you an opportunity to go ahead and check the clearance's and shim if necessary.)

My 2 Cents..

Bonzai :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.