Leaking Oil - Where it came from I have no idea

11 replies to this topic
  • tomrayner

Posted December 27, 2004 - 04:11 PM

Hi All - I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some insight - I'm not much of a mechanic. I am trying to figure out where I am / was leaking oil out on my last run. I'm riding a 2004 YZF450. About mid-way through our run last weekend I noticed oil running down the inside of my frame underneath the radiator - it was also falling onto my pipe (the smell and light smoke as it burned caused me to discover it). The leak did not seem to be significant - wherever it was coming from - we had to run 20 miles back to the truck before we could leave - I checked the oil level at several stops and did not have a noticeable drop. The bike made it back fine - I ran it pretty hard (just wanted to get back) and did not have any noticeable drop in power. Myself and the guys I was riding with were a little perplexed - we could not locate where the oil came from. I took it back to town and used a pressure washer to clean the frame section where the oil was located to see if I could find a crack in the frame, then started the bike and let it run for some time. I could not find any cracks and no additional oil showed up. I don't want to destry the bike - if there is a problem, I'd like to figure out what it is and fix it before my next ride.

Had anyone else ever had this problem? Are there any techies out there who can think of a good reason why I'd have oil down the frame on the bike?

• grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2004 - 04:32 PM

Look for a hole about a half inch in diameter in the front of the head, about 10 o'clock from the header. That's the bore where the decompression lever used to go. The chintzy little plug they used to cork it up blows out without warning.

If it's gone, welcome to the club.

Order one of these: http://shop.thumpert...egory_s/342.htm
to solve the problem.

Slam an OEM plug back in the hole while you wait if you have to go riding. Check your breather hose to make sure it isn't pinched, too. :cry:

• nzz900

Posted December 27, 2004 - 04:34 PM

check out whether you lost your decompression-plug which is just a rubber plug where the decompression cable used to be hooked up to before they went to automatic. you will find it on the right hand side, in front at the cylinder head. best to just feel around with your finger. happens. I always carry a spare, I think they only cost a few bucks...

• tomrayner

Posted December 27, 2004 - 04:49 PM

Thanks Guys!!! Will check it when I get home from work tonight!! Thanks for the quick reply - I appreciate it!

• tomrayner

Posted December 27, 2004 - 09:44 PM

You guys nailed it!!! :cry:

Thats what makes these forums so great - I really appreciate the feedback and help.

Another quick question and I will leave you alone......did I do any damage running without the plug? Do I need to take any precautions - or do I just buy a new plug and install it, problem solved?

Thanks again for your time!

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2004 - 09:50 AM

You guys nailed it!!! :cry:

Thats what makes these forums so great - I really appreciate the feedback and help.

Another quick question and I will leave you alone......did I do any damage running without the plug? Do I need to take any precautions - or do I just buy a new plug and install it, problem solved?

Thanks again for your time!

Usually, nothing bad happens as long as A) you didn't run out of oil; or :cry: no significant amount of dirt got in through the missing plug. You can pop the cam cover off to check for dirt intrusion if you're worried, but you can get a pretty good idea by looking up the open bore with a mirror, too. Do an oil and filter change anyway, and remember to check for a pinched breather hose. The plug can just fall out, but blocked breathers are the cause about 10-20% of the time.

Do plan to do something about the plug. Replacing it with the stocker and calling it done won't work in the long term. Get the TT plug, use a steel cup plug, make a retainer for it, wire it in, something. Otherwise,...

As far as nailing it, this was a softball. Besides, when the bike only has 4-5 real problems, it makes it simple to diagnose. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wayne_Thompson

Posted December 28, 2004 - 10:03 AM

Thanks guys for the info!! I know you just saved me from coming and asking the question when mine blows out

• HS624KS

Posted December 28, 2004 - 07:55 PM

Thanks guys for the info!! I know you just saved me from coming and asking the question when mine blows out

If you go with the TT plug like I did (or some variant) don't be a dumb@ss like me and overtighten the little bolt that is used to hold the plug/decomp lever in place. There's not much for thread on it.

Can you say Heli-Coil? I'm now a trained installer after this brain-fart. :cry:

Love the 450 by the way.................. :cry:

• Wayne_Thompson

Posted December 28, 2004 - 10:40 PM

If you go with the TT plug like I did (or some variant) don't be a dumb@ss like me and overtighten the little bolt that is used to hold the plug/decomp lever in place. There's not much for thread on it.

Can you say Heli-Coil? I'm now a trained installer after this brain-fart. :cry:

Love the 450 by the way.................. :cry:

That is the biggest problem I have. Wanting to overtighten! :cry:

• grayracer513

Posted December 29, 2004 - 10:12 AM

Can you say Heli-Coil? I'm now a trained installer after this brain-fart.

One way you can screw this up is not to have the plug in far enough (or too far) so that the groove in the plug's shaft doesn't line up with the hole for the retainer bolt. If this happens the bolt could run up against the plug before a reasonable amount of thread was engaged. Use a punch as a guide tool to line the groove up with the hole if you aren't sure that it is.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted December 29, 2004 - 10:48 AM

That is the biggest problem I have. Wanting to overtighten! :cry:

you spell it torque wrench.

• skthom2320

Posted December 29, 2004 - 10:54 AM

you spell it torque wrench.

Torque wrench doesn't help if the plug is not lined up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.