YZ250 or YZ450F???

8 replies to this topic
  • tkorkow

Posted December 27, 2004 - 09:38 AM

:cry: I have a 2000 YZ 250 w/ a Pro Circuit pipe and Boyesen Reed cage. The bike is real quick and I'm very happy with it but I know where I can get an IMMACULATE 2003 Yz450F for $3,700. I know the original owner and the bike has only been ridden about 10 times.

My question is, does anyone think it would be worthwhile? Is there a noticeable power increase? I race some local hare scrambles, GP's and sometimes ride a motocross track here in Nevada.

For those of you that have ridden both bikes what would you do? I've heard that the 4 strokes are VERY diffcult to start once you drop them.

• grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2004 - 10:09 AM

Myself, I'd go with the 450 in a heart beat. Yes, it does have more peak horsepower, but that's not the difference. The deal is that the 450's power is pretty much always there. Everthing over about 5000 IS the meat of the power band. Plus, 4-stroke power is much more controllable. The bike is heavier (it feels heavier than it is) and it will take a little getting used to, but most people don't go back. Ride it and see.

• bluerider450

Posted December 27, 2004 - 10:27 AM

ride it and see 1st dont just go by what people tell you its all riding style mostly but i love the 450

• ChR1s

Posted December 27, 2004 - 01:33 PM

The 'o3 YZ450F has a monster of a motor, AND it hooks up -- that's what really sets is apart from the YZ250. Not much additional weight, but it is carried higher and gives it a sort of top-heavy feel by comparison. With the auto-decomp the thing *almost* kicks over as easily as the YZ250. The clutch is also a bit heavier than the smoker. The surprising thing about it is the lack of torque just off idle -- it likes some revs to motor off in stock configuration. I really like the bike, but prefer the YZ250 for the tight confines of New England woods. The 'o3 450F has an amazing motor for a stock dirtbike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tkorkow

Posted December 27, 2004 - 04:34 PM

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'll get the "F" for a great price so I think I'll have to buy it and if I don't like it then I'm pretty sure I can get my money back and just keep the 250 2 smoke.

• tkorkow

Posted January 03, 2005 - 11:41 AM

Finally got to ride the 450 over the weekend. WHAT A MACHINE! I never thought I would say this but my YZ 250 is slow. After riding the 450 I can't understand why people are still buying the 2 smokes. The 450 has so much more power it's unbelievable. I'm officially converted.

• condog_aus

Posted January 03, 2005 - 12:00 PM

Welcome to the club...

• Pothole

Posted January 03, 2005 - 12:58 PM

thanks for the follow up...I'm currently trying to decide between a yz450f or a yz250 right now..coming from a yz400f, but responses like yours make the decision easier for sure.

• grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2005 - 01:18 PM

Finally got to ride the 450 over the weekend. WHAT A MACHINE! .... I'm officially converted.

:cry: It usually doesn't take a lot more than that.

Popular mods you may want are a little more flywheel weight, especially on the '03s, and a few Hinson or YZ426 parts to smooth out the clutch.

It takes a little more wrangling to flip it through an 'S' turn, but you'll like it once you get it. And don't shut all the way off when leaving the crest of a jump; the engine braking will put you nose down like you wouldn't believe.

Then, the only other thing is to pay no attention to the "never touch the throttle" crowd as far as starting goes. True, they normally start best at or near an idle, and you can NOT do the two-stroker "twist as you crank" thing, but you will have to twist the throttle a few times to prime it when it's cold, and you will find that opening the throttle part way (usually not much) helps if it doesn't start up at first.

Keep the oil and filters clean, and you'll find it hard to wear the thing out.
:cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.