Which Brake Fluid?

8 replies to this topic
  • Jackazz

Posted December 27, 2004 - 07:44 AM

Just curious as to what fluid some people are running. I know not to mess with that goofy purple silicon based stuff they put in cruisers (5.0 in the US, europe doesn't recognize the silicon fluid & designates what the US refers to as 5.1 as 5.0) & from some stuff I've read in many cases, DOT4 can have higher wet & dry boiling points than the newer DOT5.1 I was suprised to learn that 5.1 was specifically designed as a lower viscosity fluid for use in ABS systems. Anyhow, what are you guys using?

Thanks.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted December 27, 2004 - 08:27 AM

DOT 3 or DOT 4.

The only time that I've noticed a loss of performance is from when I've been inadvertenly dragging the rear brake during a HS race. Since then, I've adjusted my rear brake lever so that I no longer drag it by accident. Brakes have been fine ever since.

• dangermouse007

Posted December 27, 2004 - 08:29 AM

5.1 is the best

• Jackazz

Posted December 27, 2004 - 08:37 AM

I was kinda hoping for brands. In the past I've mostly used Belray, but I hear a bunch of people talking about Maxima stuff nowadays.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dangermouse007

Posted December 27, 2004 - 08:49 AM

Lockheed 5.1 and its non Silicone based so there are no water issues like with 5.0

• lewichris

Posted December 30, 2004 - 10:46 AM

yamalube brake fluid is not a bad choice, they all eat paint.

Chris

• 5valve

Posted December 30, 2004 - 12:17 PM

i use no name DOT4, well, it has a name but not worldspread
DOT means standard, so no diffrences should be felt through diffrent manufacturers
reality is diffrent, some claim their oil has higher boiling point...change oil more often, and have no overheating problems..why you get this problems overall? because this oil has a tendency of collecting water into itself, wich makes it less heat resistent through time

in systems, that use dot 3 and 4, dot 5.1 can be used (better but needing even more often changes), but dot 5.0 is not to be used because it is not ment for hydraulic brakes of that kind - kills seals

• RCannon

Posted December 30, 2004 - 12:30 PM

I think there is only two us companies that make the brake fluid. I have never had any problems using what Wal-Mart sells.

• Jackazz

Posted December 30, 2004 - 01:00 PM

Based on everything I've heard & what I've researched on the web, Motul RBF600 is the stuff I'll be using. I wonder if I can find it locally (STL, MO), or if I should just order some from the TT store...

New lines & stuff showed up today, :clap: Tragically, I won't have time to install them for tomorrow's ride. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.